The Forum Has Fallen Below The 20% Threshhold Of Nanfa Members

87 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

I was just pulling one of your appendages......

Don't do that - this is after all a PUBLIC forum! Some things should be kept IN the closet :mrgreen:

#42 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

UPDATE (for the other obsessive compulsives on the list):

The percentage of NANFA members on this forum has now fallen below 19%. I take that as a good sign, we're drawing other people to the site and the organization and its work.

NEXT: a workshop on how to take reasonably clear fish photos for ID questions? You never know!

#43 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

NEXT: a workshop on how to take reasonably clear fish photos for ID questions? You never know!

Eh, good luck with that!

#44 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

Should have made it to the convention! You missed a good workshop.

#45 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

Agreed the workshop was great, but Uland sets a high standard. His work goes well beyond the 'reasonably clear' standard.

Should have made it to the convention! You missed a good workshop.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#46 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

I was offhandedly and unclearly referring to something on the Forum; although, I know that Fritz, Uland and Dave the Neely have all made excellent suggestions as part of other threads. Like the man said, the struggle continues.

#47 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

I must jump in here also. IMO Uland takes the best consistant live photos of anyone. I love going on trips with him. He takes the time needed. I am sure he would be willing to help tutor here, but with crappy equipment, you get crappy photos.
Someone may be able to talk him into marketing his sweet photo tank setups.

#48 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:20 PM

Guys...You're making me blush. The live pictures I take have limitations and the preserved photos available have much more identification value than most of my photos. I'm working on information to help NANFA members take good ID photos in the field from tank construction to camera choice with low cost equipment.

#49 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but I think I first heard of Nanfa in the pages of In-Fisherman magazine. There was an article about keeping gamefish in aquariums. It launched my interest in keeping native fish. Just wondering if anyone else caught that article. I'm talking mid 1990's... I think

#50 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

I remember that In-fisherman. It used to reside next to the toilet for years. I was actually made aware of NANFA by a former undergraduate advisor and field station direct who is huge into spiders and herps and stumbled upon NANFA. He told me to check it out and he would pay for my first membership since I was keeping about 20 tanks with mostly gamefish at our schools nature center way beyond the amount of work study hours were possible. In less than a year I went to my first (sadly only) convention and had 30+ tanks and 45+ species up and running. So NANFA singlehandedly redirected my biological career in fisheries, changed the course of a college nature center for the better (nobody likes to see a channel cat with no pecs that can't turn around), and my senior seminar started a long-term partnership with OEPA and stream/water quality monitoring Visit My Website

That alone is a great reason to join NANFA...

which reminds me...my dues are up soon.

#51 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hey, you remember that? That was in February 1997. (I wrote it.) Thanks. It's nice to be remembered.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but I think I first heard of Nanfa in the pages of In-Fisherman magazine. There was an article about keeping gamefish in aquariums. It launched my interest in keeping native fish. Just wondering if anyone else caught that article. I'm talking mid 1990's... I think

#52 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Bob, I have heard a number of people refer to that article as what drew their attention to NANFA. It ocurrs to me that we're publishing in all the wrong places these days. TFH, AFM, FAMA - that's nice, but maybe it's time for you to do another one for In-Fisherman?

#53 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

We have 814 registered members, 154 of which are NANFA members.

The good news is that we have 814 members. The bad news is we have about 346 NANFA members who don't use the forum.
They do get American Currents. Maybe a future page in the publication could be about the forum to raise awareness among our own ranks.

#54 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

I don't see how anybody could read A/C and not know about the email list or the forum.

This is an interesting observation however.

#55 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Martin, I just quickly thumbed through AC. If I were a NANFA member whose primary info came from AC, I would not know of the forum. I see nothing there that pops out at me advertising this venue. Some members pay their dues just to get AC, and likely rarely visit the website, or the forum. Look through yours, and tell me that I am crazy.

#56 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

Martin, I just quickly thumbed through AC. If I were a NANFA member whose primary info came from AC, I would not know of the forum. I see nothing there that pops out at me advertising this venue. Some members pay their dues just to get AC, and likely rarely visit the website, or the forum. Look through yours, and tell me that I am crazy.

I just received my issue today! It's hard to fit any more info in this issue to be honest. 40 pages of hard work. Thanks Chris ;)

#57 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes it was hard work. Great job as always Chris!

But you cannot tell me that we could not put up something advertising the online venues, without causing too much trouble for Chris. Heck my wife can make a page up, and send it his way.

#58 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Well, this latest issue was something of an exception, but generally there is not only a blurb about how to join the mailing list and the forum, but there are also numerous mentions in Riffles and NANFA News. A lot of our members subscribe solely to get A/C, and they have been members for a long time. They simply choose not to participate in electonic dialog.

#59 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Well, this latest issue was something of an exception, but generally there is not only a blurb about how to join the mailing list and the forum, but there are also numerous mentions in Riffles and NANFA News. A lot of our members subscribe solely to get A/C, and they have been members for a long time. They simply choose not to participate in electonic dialog.

Thats what I was thinking, there are just some people who do not like computers.

#60 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

Wow. I'm humbled. I didn't think anyone paid attention to it.

What I'd need for a follow up for them is some sort of a different take on the same subject. Nothing is occuring to me right now.

Bob, I have heard a number of people refer to that article as what drew their attention to NANFA. It ocurrs to me that we're publishing in all the wrong places these days. TFH, AFM, FAMA - that's nice, but maybe it's time for you to do another one for In-Fisherman?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users