The Forum Has Fallen Below The 20% Threshhold Of Nanfa Members

87 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

Wow. I'm humbled. I didn't think anyone paid attention to it.

What I'd need for a follow up for them is some sort of a different take on the same subject. Nothing is occuring to me right now.

Could somebody post the article or a link to it here?

#62 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

Maybe a new conservation angle, or maybe a non-game article?? I suggest talking with the editors and see what they say. From one professional to another, as it were. I imagine they will play ball.

#63 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

Well, Santa hasn't delivered my membership yet, but I have faith in him[her]. :grin:
As far as knowing about NANFA or the forum, anyone who has ever Googled any native fish has gotten hits from the website. Both the gallery and the forum turn up frequently in Google searches. The more obscure the fish, the more likely the NANFA hits will be close to the top.
Seems to me, any web using fish knut with a native question will find NANFA eventually.
As to members who don't know about or use the forum, maybe they're not web users?
Or maybe the disproportionate numbers of nonmembers on the forum gives them the [false] impression that the forum is full of little kids, morons, PETA freaks, knowitalls and false experts like so many of the "main stream" aquarium forums?
I've let probably 8 or 10 aquarium forum memberships lapse over the years for that reason myself.
On the other hand, I've got no time for sifting through the volume of email traffic a mailing list usually entails.
Too bad there isn't a way to bring the two together online somehow.

#64 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

Well, there's the question of copyright. I sold it to the magazine, so they own it.

Could somebody post the article or a link to it here?

#65 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

It was a simple article really. The rules for keeping any big fish apply. Except for the caution about members of the pike family "chaining up" if you keep too many of them in the same tank and don't feed them enough. I'm still sad thinking about it. I got that information from John Bondhus after talking with him about the fish he'd kept through the years.

Maybe a new conservation angle, or maybe a non-game article?? I suggest talking with the editors and see what they say. From one professional to another, as it were. I imagine they will play ball.

#66 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Or maybe the disproportionate numbers of nonmembers on the forum gives them the [false] impression that the forum is full of little kids, morons, PETA freaks, knowitalls and false experts like so many of the "main stream" aquarium forums?

Well, I was gonna say something, but I changed my mind. Now, little kids are welcome here.

#67 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

Well, I was gonna say something, but I changed my mind. Now, little kids are welcome here.

Sorry if my post came off offensive. I just meant the level of experience is higher and the questions are of interest to more advanced aquarium keepers on this forum.

#68 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Not at all - I understand what you meant to say. Our mods do a good job of pruning posts which would tend to annoy people.

#69 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

Why don't more of the people on the mail list move over here? But how many of the 759 people have posted more than 10 times or have logged in in the last month?

Just stumbled onto this thread. I'm one of those mailing list people who has resisted the move to the forum, but I'm somewhat grudgingly going with the flow. My main gripe with forums is that they so often seem to place focus on appearance (fonts, colors, emoticons, avatars, signature graphics, etc.) more than actual textual content. Heck, look at this thread... browsing through it on a normal size screen, I can see at most two messages per screen -- and many of those are less than one sentence long. Forums also seem to produce a lot more one-word answers back and forth, or even just a smiley as a reply. Plus... certainly seems that people *think* a little more before hitting "send" on an e-mail going out to a list of hundreds.

Anyway, don't mean to be a grouch. There are huge advantages to a forum, too. The fact that I'm able to find and join into a conversation last updated in December 07 is a good one. Better searchability, images, etc. are all big gains.

I just hope the forum keeps the quality that the e-mail list had. I guess it's just up to the moderators and community at large to make sure that the norm continues to be posting messages of real *substance*, rather than digressing to the point of entire threads of 'lol', winking emoticons, etc. that seem to plague many/most(?) forums.

Cheers,
Jase

#70 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

I couldn't resist an update, NANFA members are now 17.7% of the Forum membership.

#71 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Of curiosity, what has been the trend in NANFA membership (total member numbers) since the inception of the forum?

#72 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

The interesting thing is that NANFA membership has jumped since the inception of the Forum, to well over 500 now.

#73 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I think that's the real metric. Forum users may only have a 17% representation of actual dues paying NANFA members, but if the NANFA membership is the highest ever, then there's really no fuss, I guess. Chalk it up to education ;)

I don't think we're keeping track or account for "inactive" forum users either. If we account for them to our metric (total forum subscription), we need to keep track of all past NANFA members as well, since the time of Forum inception. And I still don't see how it compares, since I know I'm a user on at least 3 Forums that I haven't looked at in YEARS.

I don't know what the numbers are for either, btw.

#74 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

The interesting thing is that NANFA membership has jumped since the inception of the Forum, to well over 500 now.

Yeah. That's the real metric. Last I paid attention there were only 400.

#75 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

We have lots of new forum members and I thought it would be a good time to bump this topic.

joined_NANFA_382.jpg

Click here for information on the shirt!

#76 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

I joined NANFA and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!

#77 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:56 PM

Oh, I should mention that we have more NANFA members utilizing the forum than ever joined the email list. This is a good thing.

#78 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

I think i will be joining Nanfa the next time i get a paycheck. The information i have gotten the past couple months is well worth the cost of dues, plus i really want to see what AC is all about.

#79 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

Best $20 you'll spend all year. WAY better than supper at McDonald's.

#80 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

Is that Southern Chicken Sandwich really a southern thing? But in all seriousness, i look forward to becoming a member of NANFA, this sire and group is way too interesting not to join.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users