Bluenose Tankmates

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

Can a bluefin killie be kept with bluenose shiners, or are they too aggressive?

#2 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

I don't see any problems since they likes warm water. However bluefin killies do well in planted tanks and sometimes bluefin can be curious about their tankmates but both species are very peaceful. I kept a female bluefin with my guppies and I don't have a problem (I'm trying to find her a buddy). I wish I had bluenose shiner or bluehead shiner!

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Call me a purist, but one doesn't see these two together in nature. Other that that - go for it.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Call me a purist, but one doesn't see these two together in nature. Other that that - go for it.

That's true. I have another question though. How quickly do they start eating prepared food?

#5 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

That's true. I have another question though. How quickly do they start eating prepared food?

In my experience almost immediately. I have yet to find a food that bluenose will not eat. They are usually not overly fond of frozen brine shrimp but will eat it. Mine seem to especially like the spectrum pellets. I try to feed them a wide variety of flake, pellets, and frozen foods. They also like spirulina flakes. My adult males were starting to lose their breeding colors until I fed them some frozen mysis shrimp. Wow. Big difference. They are sparring with each other again. I recently bought some live blackworms to feed some wild Altum angels and decided to try them on the bluenose. They like them even better than the mysis.
David

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users