Amphiuma Or Sirens?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

I was not sure where to put this but here it goes. Does anyone have any experience with keeping Toe-toed Amphiumas or Sirens? I caught a small Amphiuma over the summer and since then I thought it would be cool to keep one. Thanks!

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

I was not sure where to put this but here it goes. Does anyone have any experience with keeping Toe-toed Amphiumas or Sirens? I caught a small Amphiuma over the summer and since then I thought it would be cool to keep one. Thanks!

I haven't kept them, but I know just about everything about how to care for them. I would go with the less aggressive sirens. I would personally get a narrow-striped dwarf siren and keep it with some larger minnows or smaller sunfish that wouldn't eat it. What do you need to know about them?

#3 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

I haven't kept them, but I know just about everything about how to care for them. I would go with the less aggressive sirens. I would personally get a narrow-striped dwarf siren and keep it with some larger minnows or smaller sunfish that wouldn't eat it. What do you need to know about them?

Like you suggested, I thought Sirens would be the better choice but I am really interested in the Amphiuma. I would really like to know about the general habits of the two (especially the Amphiuma) but I was also wondering about the best method of capture. I found my Amphiuma under a log but I have read that Sirens and Amphiumas can be captured in a minnow trap. Any advice or comments anyone?

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

Like you suggested, I thought Sirens would be the better choice but I am really interested in the Amphiuma. I would really like to know about the general habits of the two (especially the Amphiuma) but I was also wondering about the best method of capture. I found my Amphiuma under a log but I have read that Sirens and Amphiumas can be captured in a minnow trap. Any advice or comments anyone?

Bait a minnow trap with worms. They are generally hiders, like most other herps. They will eat inverts and small fish. Try these links for additional info

Dwarf Siren
Lesser Siren
Greater Siren
Amphiuma

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

A very effective way to capture young Amphiumids end and Sirenids in areas where they are common is to submerge a minnow trap or crayfish trap loosely packed with leaves and baited with chicken liver in areas of heavy emergent vegetation. It is not hard to get them using this technique. It is more common and more successful to look for these in Late winter and early spring where they are more active and mobile.

Captive care is rather easy for either family...
Rather than reinvent the wheel just follow the advice contained in this link for husbandry details:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/index.shtml

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

Bait a minnow trap with worms. They are generally hiders, like most other herps. They will eat inverts and small fish. Try these links for additional info

Dwarf Siren
Lesser Siren
Greater Siren
Amphiuma

OK rather the same info
Good luck

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

OK rather the same info
Good luck

Haha. :-D

Well, atleast I now know there are other caudata fans out there besides myself.

#8 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Thanks those pages are awesome fishlvr and Brooklamprey! :-D I wish I could collect the Dwarf Siren in my area but alas there range does not reach this far North... :-( I will probably be unable to get one of these anytime soon because I currently have fish in my 29 gal. aquarium...sigh...

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

Haha. :-D

Well, atleast I now know there are other caudata fans out there besides myself.

My real job is in herpetology and work in Reptile and amphibian ecology and husbandry primarily...
Fish are just my hobby...(Sort of) :)

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

My real job is in herpetology and work in Reptile and amphibian ecology and husbandry primarily...
Fish are just my hobby...(Sort of) :)

Herps are my true passion. I want to work in the herpetological/herpetocultural field one day. I'm already breeding leopard geckos, and soon to breed African house snakes. I have also bred several native herps(which I love just the same as native fish). Maybe there should be a NANHA? North American Native Herps Association?

Sorry to rob your post, Madtom. :grin:

What kind of fish are in your 29g? You could possibly get a YOY siren/amphiuma and keep it in there until it gets big enough to eat your fish and then buy one of those big Rubbermaid tubs at the dollar store and set it up and put it in there.

#11 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Maybe there should be a NANHA?

That would be awesome! When comes to fish I am just a rookie but herps (native herps for the most part) are second only to birds in my book! Don't worry about taking over the thread fishlvr. In my 29 gal. I have tropical fish and one Eastern Mudminnow.

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

Oh. If they're small tropicals like neons or guppies, I wouldn't take the chance.

#13 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

Do't worry...I'm not...

#14 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

Brooklamprey: What exactly are you doing in herpetology? I've always assumed that prospects in herpetelogy are pretty bleak, compared at least to studies involving fish which can sometimes be eaten. :)

Another herper coming out of the closet. I am mainly an amphibian(newts, and frogs soon) guy ATM. Oh, and I would love to take a shot at keeping some amphiumas. I'd possibly be interested in trading some sword tail newts for them.

I'm not sure if I like herps/fish better. I can say that my interest started with fish, and later amphibians.

fishlvr: African house snakes are way cool! I have never kept snakes...but those particularly ones are pretty neat. Look like mini pythons.

anyone else here at www.fieldherpforum.com?

#15 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

Brooklamprey: What exactly are you doing in herpetology? I've always assumed that prospects in herpetelogy are pretty bleak, compared at least to studies involving fish which can sometimes be eaten. :)

Another herper coming out of the closet. I am mainly an amphibian(newts, and frogs soon) guy ATM. Oh, and I would love to take a shot at keeping some amphiumas. I'd possibly be interested in trading some sword tail newts for them.

anyone else here at www.fieldherpforum.com?

You can eat herps too. It just isn't as common. You can even eat venomous(NOT poisonous) snakes. Venom won't make you sick(unless your allergic). Poison(which snakes do not contain, to my knowledge), is edible, but will make you extremely sick, or even kill you. That's why you should not eat cane toads. :-D

#16 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

LOL, you watch The Simpsons?

Yes, I have heard from people who claim that rattlesnake is delicious. If I had the means to cook in a survival situation I'd happily eat a lizard etc.

But that reference was mainly concerning that unlike reptiles and amphibians, fish are commercially valuable.

#17 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

LOL, you watch The Simpsons?

Yes, I have heard from people who claim that rattlesnake is delicious. If I had the means to cook in a survival situation I'd happily eat a lizard etc.

But that reference was mainly concerning that unlike reptiles and amphibians, fish are commercially valuable.

Ahhhh. Well, pythons(especially gravid females) are a delacacy in India.

#18 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

Interesting. I hear that they farm them down there.

I think that the Indian Python and the American alligator are probably the only two reptiles commonly farmed for food?(hey, wouldn't a job at Gatorland be fun? haha) But it is nowhere near as big of a business as fisheries/aquaculture.

#19 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:12 AM

Interesting. I hear that they farm them down there.

I think that the Indian Python and the American alligator are probably the only two reptiles commonly farmed for food?(hey, wouldn't a job at Gatorland be fun? haha) But it is nowhere near as big of a business as fisheries/aquaculture.

And bullfrogs/leopard frogs(frog legs). :-D
"Mmmm... taste like chicken!"

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

Brooklamprey: What exactly are you doing in herpetology? I've always assumed that prospects in herpetelogy are pretty bleak, compared at least to studies involving fish which can sometimes be eaten.

I do mostly husbandry and in situ ecology work.. And yep I'm sorry to say prospects are really bleak in this field if your looking for a good paying job. Money however is not why I do this, it is for some other strange masochistic reason I can not even explain to myself..

I think that people that do this work (With fish and herps) are born this way and not made. It takes serious discipline to do this work day in and day out for peanuts and still remain happy doing it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users