Amphiuma Or Sirens?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

Well, apparently rats are good eating in China. Not just any rats, but specially farm-raised rats. "Meat's meat; a man's gotta eat"....<and> "A horse is a horse, of course of course, a horse is a horse is a horse of course" (a tune to sing whilst feeding your cats). I hate horses - very stupid animals. I like rats better. And I would eat either one - meat's meat.

We get really big slugs down south. I'm not particularly interested in tasting them, neither to see if I get high nor to make a meal. I don't consider slugs to be "meat".

#42 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Yuck. Me neither.
There is some small town, I can't recall which one, which has a big annual "Slug Fest." Yes, a slug festival, during which they do all sorts of fun stuff with slugs, including eating them. Well, actually, only trying to eat them. Apparently, slugs aren't edible or even palatable in the slightest, and the fun is in watching people puke themselves silly after trying to wolf down a few. I wonder how these things get started? This makes our own local rattlesnake and armadillo festivals look downright ordinary.
Rattler is very yummy, by the way. I've never dared try armadillo, though. Leprosy just doesn't sound like much fun.

I'm crazy for conch, but I've never tried abalone. I never had rat, either, but I'll bet with a good recipe and a crock-pot they'd be okay.
Chinese like rat meat? Hmmm.... so some big Chinatown area would be a viable marketplace for rats?

#43 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

I'm crazy for conch, but I've never tried abalone. I never had rat, either, but I'll bet with a good recipe and a crock-pot they'd be okay.
Chinese like rat meat? Hmmm.... so some big Chinatown area would be a viable marketplace for rats?

Doubt it. Are family is pretty FOB as far as food goes, but I doubt we'd buy rat meat. Too much stigma attached to it. Wonder if in the reptile hobby if there'd be a demand for farmed anoles or snakes? I know of a few raising insects for food. Look up Sunnyside Land Shrimp. One thing that I have noticed is that at least most of my extended family commonly have those little dried fish you see at Chinatown for soups etc. They are quite good, and small enough that you need not bother cleaning them. I wonder if some fish here could make a good substitute.

#44 Guest_imashton_*

Guest_imashton_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

Im new to this forum...and the reply skills. I have exp with Amphiumas. We have caught several on my property and my children /myself have released all but one. We kept this one and named him "stinky stewy". This animal lived for several months eating earth worms, fish pellets and crawfish. We live in Louisiana so crawfish are common. My youngest child fed a boiled & seasoned crawfish tail to "stinky", he turned room temp and really stunk. For the tech people,he was in a aquarium 30g bio wheel....water tested perfect whole time.

#45 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot. This thread was about amphiumas!

I saw one once when the creek flooded. It washed up into the parking lot where I worked. They bite freely.

#46 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

Well, I know there are people against some of the stuff he did, and I don't have a problem with that. Many say that he stressed the animals he handled. But, IMO, he was a great, active conservationalist, which the world needs nowadays, even if they do stress out a few animals along the way. I'm not getting on to you or anything, just stating my opinion.

Not to mention the amount of money his own money that he used to buy land to keep wild and to care for wild animals that were hurt than release them once they were fine was unreal.
His critics dont seem to look at that

Breed your own. Nearly 30,000 eggs per (large; 6"+) female. The only down side is that bullfrogs take up to 5 years to reach a good eating size. Leopard frogs, on the other hand...

How about Bufo Marinus can you eat those ? Roughly 8 months a yr I have zillion of them all over the yard . Than come Dec to Mar they are gone.

Infact have to put screen barrier around the pond in summer

Haha. :-D

Well, atleast I now know there are other caudata fans out there besides myself.

There was a guy who sold dwarf sirens out of Caudata forum. I ordered 4 Dwarf sirens from him the week prior to 9-11 than right after that packages over a certain weight or with liquid something like that couldnt be sent via regular USPS in NY
He sent me back my money order explaining why very nice guy.

He used to also advertise in kingsnake but never saw any more ads after that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users