Amphiuma Or Sirens?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

Nice catch! I was tricked into eating bullfrog...it was something like.

"My my, this is some tender and juicy chicken...mmmm! How'd you make it? Wait a minute...these bones are real funny looking."

I'd happily eat bullfrog now! CA fishing license no season no limit. Only problem is that I can't find a place where their are lots of big ones that I would feel comfortable eating out of.

#22 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

Breed your own. Nearly 30,000 eggs per (large; 6"+) female. The only down side is that bullfrogs take up to 5 years to reach a good eating size. Leopard frogs, on the other hand...

#23 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:27 AM

I do mostly husbandry and in situ ecology work.. And yep I'm sorry to say prospects are really bleak in this field if your looking for a good paying job. Money however is not why I do this, it is for some other strange masochistic reason I can not even explain to myself..

I think that people that do this work (With fish and herps) are born this way and not made. It takes serious discipline to do this work day in and day out for peanuts and still remain happy doing it..

Even keeping reptiles can be tedious work. Especially when you have a breeding group/colony.

I definitely agree that people who work with animals in general are born with the love for animals and the want to work with them. The almighty Steve Irwin will forever be in the hearts of all herp(and other animals) lovers...

#24 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

The almighty Steve Irwin will forever be in the hearts of all herp(and other animals) lovers...

Not with me...Sorry

#25 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

Not with me...Sorry

Well, I know there are people against some of the stuff he did, and I don't have a problem with that. Many say that he stressed the animals he handled. But, IMO, he was a great, active conservationalist, which the world needs nowadays, even if they do stress out a few animals along the way. I'm not getting on to you or anything, just stating my opinion.

#26 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

On breeding bullfrogs...
Been there, done that. On accident no less. But luckily for me I did not get 30,000 frogs running around. Bullfrogs are highly cannibalistic. Currently 6 or so of the thousands survived. I was doing work as a predator myself(chucking out any tadpoles I caught)...but that hardly dented their numbers at all. I'd say 2 years(as frogs) and they are leopard frog size. With bullfrogs being invasives where I live hunting them would be the best thing. I don't have the heart to kill the remaining animals but they provide great entertainment on summer days when you can go fishing in your backyard with a piece of plastic as bait...erp.

Brooklamprey: What exactly do you do then? Zoo/aquarium work and field research/counting animals I would assume? A job that I find fullfilling and one that involves working with animals is worth a lot more to me than money. Maybe it is youthful idealism, but I honestly cannot see myself doing anything else.

#27 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:54 AM

Brooklamprey: What exactly do you do then? A job that I find fullfilling and one that involves working with animals is worth a lot more to me than money. Maybe it is youthful idealism, but I honestly cannot see myself doing anything else.

In case it was missed read post 20

conservationalist

Ok... I'm just not saying much more on this..... But that made up name fits Irwin well....It rhymes well with sensationalist and has about the same message he had. Rather empty in meaning or worth.

No disrespect for the dead but Irwin was not equal to Aldo Leopold or any of the other great Conservationists / ecologists or naturalists before him by any means...

I would suggest seeking out and reading the works of the early masters like Leopold rather than blankly just accepting the sensational entertainment of Irwin as something "special"...

#28 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:57 AM

Ok... I'm just not saying much more on this..... But that made up name fits Irwin well....It rhymes well with sensationalist..

:grin: Well, I knew it was something with "ist". Conservationist? Oh well, whatever.

#29 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

In case it was missed read post 20

Brooklamprey: Nope didn't miss it. But that can cover such a wide range of stuff. Do you work in a public aquarium, zoo, hatchery etc.? Is your field work connected with your husbandry work? Feel free to pm if you don't wish to post.

But back to the topic. I wonder how well an aboveground covered pond would suite amphiumas?

#30 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:10 AM

Brooklamprey: Nope didn't miss it. But that can cover such a wide range of stuff. Do you work in a public aquarium, zoo, hatchery etc.? Is your field work connected with your husbandry work? Feel free to pm if you don't wish to post.

But back to the topic. I wonder how well an aboveground covered pond would suite amphiumas?

If they live in your area, there should be no problem with keeping them like that. Put it in an area where they won't get full sun and cook but enough to where they can bask if they want. Put some plants and a substrate and feed it. I'm not an expert on these things, so I'm not really sure what else would be necessary.

#31 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

They don't live in my area, but I'm pretty sure CA is analogous to SouthEastern US in regards to climate.

The only problem I can think of is the possibility of escapees if the lid is not properly secured.

#32 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:45 AM

I do work for a AZA accredited institution and my field work is directly related to the husbandry work I do. My focus is on In situ habitat conservation. I however do deal with the difficult task of working out captive husbandry in rare and common animals when needed. I also do alot of work not related to my job toward understanding of Captive protocols of selected Fish and herps.I generally keep animals others do not for whatever reason.

Anyhow back to subject...

#33 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

Is anyone here able to collect any anytime soon?

#34 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Where you at?

#35 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

CA, where their are none. :)

#36 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

Is Bullfrog meat expensive? Would it be worth it to build a frog farm?
What about an escargot snail farm? How about combining the two?

What about rats? Is there a good market for rats anymore?

Yes, I'm trying to think of some ways to make a few extra bucks.

#37 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

I think the market for frog legs has crashed since Phil Smidt's restaurant closed. (www.froglegs.com)

#38 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

No disrespect for the dead but Irwin was not equal to Aldo Leopold or any of the other great Conservationists / ecologists or naturalists before him by any means...

Crikey, he's a grumpy bugger!
:lol:

#39 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Well, I did some checking, and it turns out that snail meat goes for about 14 bucks a pound. It takes a LOT longer to grow an edible terrestrial snail than a watersnail, though, making it not-so-easy money after all. Oh well.

Have any of you ever tried conch? It's absolutely fabulous. Don't miss out on it if you should ever get an opportunity to try it. I chowed down through half a basket of them once before ever learning what they were, and when they told me, I still wasn't sure I believed it. Scrum-delish!

#40 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:08 PM

Wow That is crazy...especially considering how they are usually garden pests. I have heard the preparation process(purging etc.) is pretty labor intensive though. To me, just takes like mushrooms.

I know their are conch/abalone farms out their...haven't tried conch but have had abalone. Even dried abalone is pretty good when cooked. If you have time to enjoy it slowly...its sorta like seafood flavored gum....LOL

All this being said, their are a lot of mushrooms that more or less taste the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users