Darters in a Petstore...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

I went into a local Pet Supplies Plus and peeked into the ghost shrimp aquarium and there were 4 or 5 small greenish darters (about 1" to 1.5") scooting along the bottom. If I had a tank set up I would have tried to buy them just to try and see what species they were. If anyone is in the NE Ohio area and wants to check them out shoot me an email.

a j a v r a m at h o t m a i l dot c o m

p.s. I cant seem to edit the subject line, but it should say darters, not daters... a whole new meaning.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

They are likely swamp darters. I used to get them at Pet Supplies Plus in Lakewood and a few others I can't remeber right now all the time in ghost shrimp tanks.

#3 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

I just looked them up and that seems about right for body shape and coloration.

Thanks,

Andy

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

I just looked them up and that seems about right for body shape and coloration.

Thanks,

Andy

I got them, and they are Swamp Darters. Thanks for the heads up Andy.

Tom

#5 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

Good, I am glad someone interested in them, and who knows how to take care of them got them. Did you get them for Ghost Shrimp prices? What was it 10 cents each?

Andy

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:15 PM

Good, I am glad someone interested in them, and who knows how to take care of them got them. Did you get them for Ghost Shrimp prices? What was it 10 cents each?

Andy

They say they cant sell natives so they gave them to me :D
This is how it is at most PSP stores. Ask Ed about the Bluefin killie pair we "collected" this weekend.

Tom

#7 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

My local WalMart got in a few hitchhikers in today's fish shipment. They look like Lucania parva to me, and a couple of obvious Fundulus sp., probably notti. They're all in terrible shape, though. Still, in the year this store has carried fish, I've seen less than a dozen total hitchers, with 5 of them being all from today. I wonder if this means anything.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

I wonder if this means anything.

Hmm. There is much to reflect upon. Much to ponder.

#9 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have 4 swamp darters that I picked up from my lfs and ashtonmj. All came from the lfs' ghost shrimp tanks. The store gets swamp darters along with bluefin killies all the time. I have them at home in a five gallon tank that is packed with a java fern log that takes up most of the tank. One of the males is definitely in breeding mode, stalking the other females and mounting them whenever he gets the chance. For a darter that's not so colorful, they are pretty fascinating little fish. Hopefully I can get them to breed. Here's a few pics:
Attached File  DSC08853.JPG   863.63KB   3 downloads
Attached File  DSC08843.JPG   594.65KB   1 downloads
Attached File  DSC08842.JPG   503.37KB   1 downloads

#10 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

I have 4 swamp darters that I picked up from my lfs and ashtonmj. All came from the lfs' ghost shrimp tanks. The store gets swamp darters along with bluefin killies all the time. I have them at home in a five gallon tank that is packed with a java fern log that takes up most of the tank. One of the males is definitely in breeding mode, stalking the other females and mounting them whenever he gets the chance. For a darter that's not so colorful, they are pretty fascinating little fish. Hopefully I can get them to breed. Here's a few pics:

Great pictures! I have gotten Swamp Darters (2) & Bluefin Killies here in Cincy also. I think in one weekend I cleared out the whole town of Bluefins ... 5 or 6 stores yielded about 14 as I recall. (selfish I know) Look in the planted tanks at the Local Fish Store, along with the Ghost Shrimp tanks. As of yet, I have found nothing in the Rosey Red tanks, feeder Goldfish tanks, or the Guppy tanks. Has anyone found anything interesting in those tanks?

#11 Guest_darted_*

Guest_darted_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

...not much color?

the male is stunning

#12 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

A much underrated darter. Small size, dull colors and swampy habitat cause it to be left off the "must have" list of captive darters. Too bad because it really adapts well to life in a community tank and has no problem swimming right to the surface to compete for food with even the hungriest minnows. I've had many that have learned to eat flake food.
I only have two complaints about them.
One, they are bite sized irresistable snacks to any preditory fish with a large mouth,
and two, they seem to be short lived.
Keep smaller ones, they live longer. Just don't put any bullheads, big sunnies or other preditors in with them.

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

Keep smaller ones, they live longer. Just don't put any bullheads, big sunnies or other preditors in with them.

My pickerel thinks darters are a delicacy, I understand what you're saying.

NOTE: Before any one thinks I regularly feed my pickerel darters, it's not a regular thing, and rainbow darters are very very common where I collect.
Normally I feed my pickerel small creek chubs or minners from the bait shop.

Tom

#14 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

...not much color?

the male is stunning

I agree. That is the absolute nicest swamp darter I have ever seen. Not just the color, but the stockiness of the fish. Kudos to your fish keeping ability.

#15 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

I agree. That is the absolute nicest swamp darter I have ever seen. Not just the color, but the stockiness of the fish. Kudos to your fish keeping ability.

Thanks for the compliments.

I meant color as in ROYGBIV, but yea i agree the male is definitely nice and "colored up". He actually appears much darker in the tank. He's lighter in the pictures because I took them with the flash on. Very cool fish.

#16 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

Just yesterday, I found a few types of fish in with the rosey reds at petsmart.
Two types of chubs at least, some species of shiner that I took home (which the sunfish immediately ate), and a handful of livebearers that I could have sworn Japanese Medaka. I asked for the "livebearers" and the guy gave me small shiners... go figure.
Must have been the first time i've seen hitchikers like this, other than the usual creek chub thrown in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users