new paper on [i]Phenacobius mirabilis[/i] captive biology

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Suckermouth minnows are really fun little aquarium fish for folks in the Midwest, and do better in aquaria than other members of the genus (which seem to stay nervous and spook easily). Some folks out in Colorado just published on captive propagation of this fish, which might be of interest...

Bestgen, K.R. and R.I. Compton. 2007. Reproduction and Culture of Suckermouth Minnow. North American Journal of Aquaculture 69(4): 345–350.

(http://afs.allenpres....1577/A06-077.1)

"We successfully spawned suckermouth minnow in the laboratory by using hormone injections, observed reproductive behavior, and reared larvae to juvenile size in aquaria. Suckermouth minnow spawned over interstitial spaces in gravel and cobble substrate in water temperatures of 17, 19, and 23°C after injections of chorionic gonadotropin (males) and carp pituitary (females). Groups of several fish were involved in spawning, which occurred nearly continuously for several hours after the fish were placed in aquaria; typically, only one or a few eggs were released in any single spawning bout. Viable, adhesive eggs were found on gravel and cobble substrate but not on sand or other attachment surfaces in aquaria. Only suckermouth minnow that were in peak reproductive condition successfully spawned after hormone injections. Voluntary spawning also occurred in the absence of hormone injections. We observed potential cannibalism of suckermouth minnow eggs immediately after spawning, suggesting that isolation of embryos or adults after spawning may be necessary for successful culture. Suckermouth minnow were stripped of gametes, and embryos were successfully reared to hatching at temperatures of 17, 19, and 23°C; rearing was most successful at 17°C and 23°C. The development and growth of larvae (4.2–4.8 mm total length at hatching) was faster at 23°C (mean = 0.57 mm/d) than at 17°C and 19°C (0.35 mm/d)."

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

In my experience, this is an overlooked species. From an aquarist's standpoint, these guys fill the niche of some of the difficult suckers, are relatively easy to maintain, and have the activity level of most other cyprinids. I agree they are a fun fish.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

I've thought about acquiring and trying to breed these guys, except I don't have a tank with any current. I really wish I could work with some of the cyprinids more, but right now all of my tanks have centrarchids in them. Maybe I'll find somewhere to make some room for a stream tank one of these days.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

We observed potential cannibalism of suckermouth minnow eggs immediately after spawning, suggesting that isolation of embryos or adults after spawning may be necessary for successful culture.

I love the tentative language! They might eat their own eggs - or they might not! Isolating the adults from the embryos may be necessary, or maybe not! Hey, it's just a suggestion! Should we isolate the adults from the eggs, or vice versa?

LOL, I get tickled by these things.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users