L. peltastes stress colors?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

I have a 3.75" male longear, and all of the sudden his colors darkened. Is this a sign of stress? Nothing has changed in his tank. I just went to look at him and he was an extremely dark red color.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

I have a 3.75" male longear, and all of the sudden his colors darkened. Is this a sign of stress? Nothing has changed in his tank. I just went to look at him and he was an extremely dark red color.

Can you provide a photograph? Is he breathing hard, fins damaged?

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Can you provide a photograph? Is he breathing hard, fins damaged?

I just tried, and they really don't show how dark he is. He's got a thin skin-like flap that comes out of his gill that's been there for a few weeks. It looks like a more flexible gill cover coming out of his main gill cover. It's even consistant with the colors on his gill cover. He takes smaller, quicker breaths, but now it isn't as bad as it was earlier. My warmouth has also been kind of sulking in the same tank. Both of them randomly twitch every once in a while and they rub up against the rocks and filter in a quick, jerky motion. Maybe longears are supposed to be this dark, but I don't know.

This is him a week ago. Here the "flap" is somewhat visible:
Attached File  DSCF2483.JPG   228.98KB   0 downloads

This shows how dark he is now:
Attached File  DSCF2561.JPG   221.37KB   0 downloads

It isn't very noticeable, but here I've outlined the "flap". It's absent on the gill cover on the other side:
Attached File  DSCF2555.JPG   237.06KB   0 downloads

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

I just tried, and they really don't show how dark he is. He's got a thin skin-like flap that comes out of his gill that's been there for a few weeks. It looks like a more flexible gill cover coming out of his main gill cover. It's even consistant with the colors on his gill cover. He takes smaller, quicker breaths, but now it isn't as bad as it was earlier. My warmouth has also been kind of sulking in the same tank. Both of them randomly twitch every once in a while and they rub up against the rocks and filter in a quick, jerky motion. Maybe longears are supposed to be this dark, but I don't know.

This is him a week ago. Here the "flap" is somewhat visible:
Attached File  DSCF2483.JPG   228.98KB   0 downloads

This shows how dark he is now:
Attached File  DSCF2561.JPG   221.37KB   0 downloads

It isn't very noticeable, but here I've outlined the "flap". It's absent on the gill cover on the other side:
Attached File  DSCF2555.JPG   237.06KB   0 downloads

The northern longear appears fine based on coloration. My northern males tend to darken as they pump up for breeding and sometimes get into scraps resulting in wounds around the operculum. SOme of my norhtern longear males are like some southern sunfishes in their pelvic fins get very dark when pumped.

Rubbing and twitching (fish farmers say flashing) is indicative of some sort of irration on skin or gills. My fish when really feeling bad will acquire a smoky grey cast that can make them under some conditions appear darker. You may have a parasite, likely external bothering your fishes.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

What kind of parasites could they be and how can I get rid of them?

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

What kind of parasites could they be and how can I get rid of them?

Identification may require handling your fish. Some parasites are visible to the naked eye (anchor worm, fish lice) others are visible from a distance only in aggregate ( some of the ciliates like ich) and many others can be a real aggrivation to your fish yet not be readily observable without use of a microscope. Do you have access to a micrscope?

I must note the wounded left operculum and the flashing may not be related.

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

Identification may require handling your fish. Some parasites are visible to the naked eye (anchor worm, fish lice) others are visible from a distance only in aggregate ( some of the ciliates like ich) and many others can be a real aggrivation to your fish yet not be readily observable without use of a microscope. Do you have access to a micrscope?

I must note the wounded left operculum and the flashing may not be related.

I don't have access to a microscope. How much magnification is needed? I may be able to get a 40x microscope, since my step mom is a science teacher. But in the mean time, is there anything I can try to get rid of them? Maybe add salt to the water?

I think the operculum injury may be from aggression, as him and the younger male get into little spats with each other.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

I don't have access to a microscope. How much magnification is needed? I may be able to get a 40x microscope, since my step mom is a science teacher. But in the mean time, is there anything I can try to get rid of them? Maybe add salt to the water?

I think the operculum injury may be from aggression, as him and the younger male get into little spats with each other.

No single medication treats all conditions. Go to your local pet shop and read the labels on the availble medications. Some will include clinical signs. Also Google some of the potential disease organisms. Many will be imaged and several decent sites now exist concerning fish diseases and their treamtent. Confirmation if not simply satisfying interest concerning the causative organisms will be facilitated with the aid of the microscope. Some can be imaged 40X. Then purchase and apply the appropriate medication.

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

No single medication treats all conditions. Go to your local pet shop and read the labels on the availble medications. Some will include clinical signs. Also Google some of the potential disease organisms. Many will be imaged and several decent sites now exist concerning fish diseases and their treamtent. Confirmation if not simply satisfying interest concerning the causative organisms will be facilitated with the aid of the microscope. Some can be imaged 40X. Then purchase and apply the appropriate medication.

Ok. Thanks for your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users