Parasites?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

In two of my native fish tanks there are very small whitish "worm" looking things on the glass. They are extremly tiny, to small to photograph they just look like specks in the pictures I tried to take. The move sometimes, but they remain still at times. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Are they parasites of some sort? Thanks in advance everyone.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Nope, I am sure they are harmless. Likely planaria if they are on the glass. The only thing these, and other free living worms really indicate is excess nutrients. A few waterchanges might be in order.

#3 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

I am changing around 25-35% of the water in the 100gal tank about every 2-3 weeks. Is that often enough or should I make the water changes weekly? Thanks for the help!

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

You can get by with that. Personally I do 25 to 50% weekly in heavily stocked tanks.

#5 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

I have a single two year old Yellow Bullhead that is about 15'', so I would think the tank is not stocked too heavily?

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

Be sure you're not feeding too much. Planaria are not common if you have good water quality. Bullheads are very tolerant of less than ideal conditions.

#7 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

The planaria or whatever are in the 100gal where the "picky" Bullhead is. That Bullhead is the one that eats chicken liver, and chicken liver is not exactly good for the water quality in the tank. I have two Emperor 400 Filters with a decent current to help keep it clean.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Ugh, chicken livers. Yup, all that juice is not doing the water any good. Try switching to sinking pellets and maybe a few angleworms now and then. Also weekly water changes (at least). Your bullhead may also take crickets from the surface (if he's comfortable in his tank), and he will surely eat feeder fishes. These should be occasional supplements - I recommend sticking to pellets as a staple.

#9 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

I know all of the juices dont do the tank any good. I dont know if I have told you or not, but this is the fish that I have offered so many different foods and he just refuses everything but the chicken livers. I have tried making him fast for over one month and he still refused pellets and shrimp. I have tried feeding everything I can think of to him and he has refused everything but chicken livers. I am going to get some feeder fish for him I am just a little hesitant to do this, due to the risk of introducing parasites.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

I think the risk of parasites is a lesser evil than the pollution caused by the livers. It does seem odd that he's so picky. Usually they come right out at feeding time and snarf up anything on the bottom. They will feed from the surface too once they're comfortable.

Oh well, he was probably spoiled as a child.

#11 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

He has been feeding at the top almost all of his life, Since he was about 4'' long. He is quite comfortable with it. Is going to a bait shop and just buying minnows a good way to get feeder fish? I am quite leery of feeder goldfish=parasite paradise. Honestly, he was spoiled as a child given- shrimp, tubifex worms, bloodworms, etc. he ate very few pellets back when he would eat like a normal bullhead. He has been "picky" ever since he was moved to the 100gal tank.

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

Hmm. Yeah, I used to buy baitshop minners all the time for feeders - no problems therefrom. But it is interesting that your bullhead's feeding habits changed when he moved into his larger quarters. Did they change right off, or did he slowly lose interest in his favorite foods?

It's good that he is feeding from the surface. But I am puzzled. Something is not right here. I am wondering if intensifying the water change regime will help his feeding habits as well as eradicate the planaria.

#13 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

It puzzled me too why he suddenly stopped eating the "regular" foods. As soon as he was moved, he stopped eating them. He "fasted" for around two months refusing everything I offered him until I gave him some chicken liver. It is strange I know. Ok, I agree stepping up the water changes will do nothing but help.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hmm. OK, other than the size of the tanks, what other differences can you find? Substrate, lighting, water source - anything. There has got to be a reason for this.

#15 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

Hmm let me think.
I run no lighting, except when I photograph my catfish or to closely look at him. So lighting is not the problem.
Both tanks have the exact same substrate, from the same company even, black gravel in both tanks. I switched the filters from the 40gal onto the 100gal to get it to cycle quickly. Well water is the water source for both tanks. Other than the tank size there are basically no differences.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

Well water - that's good. It may not make any difference, but I would say go ahead and do 50% water changes DAILY for a week or two, and see if his appetites change.

#17 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

Okay, I will try doing that and see if any changes occur. Thanks for all the help.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'm really surprised nobody else has chimed in on this. I'm kind of out there, all by myself, making life and death decisions for your bullhead! I hope he doesn't die. :shock:

#19 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Just to let you know, if he does die I hold you personally responsible for the wellfare of my beloved bullhead. j/k.
One last question I forgot to mention, he has a small "bump" on his tail that is slightly raised. It is whitish in the center and dark around the edges.

#20 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'm really surprised nobody else has chimed in on this. I'm kind of out there, all by myself, making life and death decisions for your bullhead! I hope he doesn't die. :shock:

:eek:

OMG. Irate said "I HOPE HE DOESN'T DIE". Irate, do you have a fever?

I agree that it's odd he hasn't eaten anything but chicken liver. Have you tried night crawlers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users