new fish

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Redrain5_*

Guest_Redrain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Just got this cute little fish today for someone who wanted me to grow it out a bit.. I thought it had more of a rounded shape than the other ones I was catching but they wanted it anyway.
The camera isn't showing the great red coloration on his fins as well as I hoped it would. Posted Image

When I went to catch a fish for my friend along with minnows for my other sunfish I caught at least 12 warmouth’s mostly 4” and under. I usually catch more dollars & young SMB than anything else.

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Are both pictures of the same fish?

The second pic really looks like a warmouth x bluegill hybrid (*gasp*!).

#3 Guest_Redrain5_*

Guest_Redrain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Same fish. my cama is a little crazy I had to tweek the color in the first one a little to get the immage a little bit clearer & yes I was thinking warmouth x bluegill as well ( I didn't want to say the H word so I let some one else say it.) as I mentioned the fish is much rounder in shape than the other warmouth that I was catching that day. the fin shape is also a little more like a bluegill (at leas I think so) I wonder what the size a warmouth X bluegill grows too.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:24 PM

I would expect about 10", since both fish reach about that size. It also has half of a dorsal spot, which bluegill have and warmouth don't. Still a nice fish, nonetheless.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

Do I see some red behind the black spot in the soft dorsal?

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

Do I see some red behind the black spot in the soft dorsal?

I'm seeing it too. That's an interesting little fish.

#7 Guest_Redrain5_*

Guest_Redrain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

yes it has alot of red on it's fins all of them have red or redish coloration on them. she wanted a warmouth so I may just keep this little hybrid for myself XD. If you would like I can try to get another pic of the fish.

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

Wow your hybrid warmouth has big eyes, its face remind me of flier sunfish.

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

That is a Bantam Sunfish, Lepomis symmetricus. They are a rather small stubby looking sunfish and young have a black spot with a red halo around it on the back of the soft dorsal much like a young flier would have. It is not a hybrid.

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm going to agree with Brian on the ID. The H-bomb is getting dropped way too frequently, it's the easy way out of doing a little work and a little more examination. Don't get me wrong I've seen plenty of sunfish I'd and other have called hybrids but it's almost a cute little joke now.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

That is a Bantam Sunfish, Lepomis symmetricus. They are a rather small stubby looking sunfish and young have a black spot with a red halo around it on the back of the soft dorsal much like a young flier would have. It is not a hybrid.

Ugh! I didn't even think about bantams!

I agree with Brian.

It looks kind of pointy for a bantam(at least the ones I've seen), but everything else agrees with that idea, so I guess that's what it is.

#12 Guest_Redrain5_*

Guest_Redrain5_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Ahhhh knew it was some what familiar but I couldn’t wrap my head around it, Bantam sunfish, Lepomis symmetricus. I can’t believe I kept thinking bluegill x warmouth but at least I wasn’t the only one. lol I wasn't even aware that they lived in that pond. That’s the first one I’ve ever caught their.

a good bit smaller than a bluegill hybrid :-D
I've never kept a bantam. Are they hard to get on flake/pellet food?
How would a 32 gal set up with plants live & fake with few rocks do for this fish?

#13 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Ahhhh knew it was some what familiar but I couldn’t wrap my head around it, Bantam sunfish, Lepomis symmetricus. I can’t believe I kept thinking bluegill x warmouth but at least I wasn’t the only one. lol I wasn't even aware that they lived in that pond. That’s the first one I’ve ever caught their.

a good bit smaller than a bluegill hybrid :-D
I've never kept a bantam. Are they hard to get on flake/pellet food?
How would a 32 gal set up with plants live & fake with few rocks do for this fish?

They'll convert to dry foods pretty quickly. Pellets are best.

A 32g is plenty big enough.

#14 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:47 PM

Bantam sunfish are one of three smaller Lepomis species that's don't get over 6 inches long (someone please correct me if I was wrong). Two other smaller Lepomis species are dollars and orangespotted sunfish. All Lepomis species are pretty hardy compared to other sunfish species for being keeping in aquarium. They are not picky about what you feed to them. Bantam sunfish look cooler especially its big mouth and eyes. It may not so colorful sunfish than other Lepomis species in their opitions but at last its smaller than mostly species.

#15 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

I've got an article that was sent to me by Centrarchid, if you want to read it. It's mostly about their life history, but still some interesting stuff about them.

#16 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Bantam sunfish are one of three smaller Lepomis species that's don't get over 6 inches long (someone please correct me if I was wrong). Two other smaller Lepomis species are dollars and orangespotted sunfish. All Lepomis species are pretty hardy compared to other sunfish species for being keeping in aquarium. They are not picky about what you feed to them. Bantam sunfish look cooler especially its big mouth and eyes. It may not so colorful sunfish than other Lepomis species in their opitions but at last its smaller than mostly species.

They may be calling them Lepomis but they are much more similar to the blue spotted and banded sunfish (Eneacanthus spp.) than they are to any of the other Lepomis.

#17 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

If Bantam sunfish don't looks like Lepomis species and I don't know if bantam sunfish can cross with other Lepomis species. Can bantam crossing with other Lepomis species? The bantam sunfish are very little mention to me.

#18 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

They may be calling them Lepomis but they are much more similar to the blue spotted and banded sunfish (Eneacanthus spp.) than they are to any of the other Lepomis.

I definitely agree with that statement. After reading your article I was wondering if they should be considered an Enneacanthus sp.

#19 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

I definitely agree with that statement. After reading your article I was wondering if they should be considered an Enneacanthus sp.

I am no taxonomist of sunfishes but the bones and scaling pattern of head and the color patterns are more consistent with the Enneacanthus species of the east coast than with Lepomis. I am not sure why bantams were put into Lepomsi in first place other than hearing from a respective ichthyologists that the forked tail of bantans was relavent.

#20 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

I always wondered about their broken/ interrrupted / missing part lateral line.

As far as looking like other sunfish, redspotted sunfish seem to be clones of them. Catching them along side each other in Tennessee and Louisiana, the smaller ones really do that. Looking for that dorsal spot on the little bantams helped decide who was who.

They do bear a striking resemblance to banded sunfish though. At a quick glance they can resemble young dollar sunfish. But going off of color is tricky with bantams, why I nickname them the chameleon sunfish. This is in reference to badis badis.

Bantams are awesome little guys, pretty peaceful too. I once had three males and one female in a 15 gallon with just gravel and a foam filter. The female spawned with all three males, and no one got beat to near death, which would happen with any other lepomis in a proportionate sized tank.

With spending a long time with bantams, and putting aside size and personality, I really liken them to being like warmouth and green sunfish. I cannot give any concrete reasons for this, its just how I think about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users