Hitchhiker Gambusia!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

Anyone know the exact species of gambusia that is often found in feeder shipments? I just got about 5 in with some rosies and decided to keep them since they were different! I think that they are probably gambusia affinis but wanted to double check! Thanks :-D

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Anyone know the exact species of gambusia that is often found in feeder shipments? I just got about 5 in with some rosies and decided to keep them since they were different! I think that they are probably gambusia affinis but wanted to double check! Thanks :-D

They are either Gambusia affinis or G. holbrooki. With rosies I would suspect Affinis but it is hard to say.

#3 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

They are either Gambusia affinis or G. holbrooki. With rosies I would suspect Affinis but it is hard to say.

Thanks! Ya I just looked up images of both and they look a ton alike! I'm really not an expert with these type of fish especially with ID's! Once i get my new camera for christmas i'll post a pic for the heck of it!

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanks! Ya I just looked up images of both and they look a ton alike! I'm really not an expert with these type of fish especially with ID's! Once i get my new camera for christmas i'll post a pic for the heck of it!

They are close to Hair pulling frustrating to distinguish. Only real differences are in Dorsal fin rays (Which may or may not work) and the gondopodium on the males differs in some microscopic teeth. Usually unless they are from a known location and you have at least 20 to sort through it is not really worth distinguishing them. Just call em "skeeter fish" or "Damnbusia"

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

I always thought westerns had no tear drops

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

My guess would be G. holbrooki, since these feeders likely came from Florida.

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

Just call em "skeeter fish" or "Damnbusia"

I love it! I'm going to start naming my feeders now. :grin:

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

My guess would be G. holbrooki, since these feeders likely came from Florida.

rosies dont come out of florida
the ones from petco come from Arkansas I think so I supose the same could be said for most rosies
gambusia might be invasives in other parts of the country but I consider them nice tank mates for pickeral gar large sunfish my wierd mutant fish eating mummichogs.....

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

gambusia might be invasives in other parts of the country but I consider them nice tank mates for pickeral gar large sunfish my wierd mutant fish eating mummichogs.....

I think creek chubs make better tank mates. :lol:

#10 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

They have 9 anal fin rays, and 6 dorsal fin rays. I think that means they are affinis.

Here's a picture of one of the females rockbassbud5 gave me. It's blurry due to algae on the front glass, but I'm working on that.
I also have some pictures of the male if you need them.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Whack 'em!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users