swamp darter care tips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Well I want try them out because they always in feeder shipments all time. But I had no idea how to take care of them. I was thinking about set up the tubs for them this spring. And I really want get a pair instead of random swamp darters. I should getting a book of native fishes in aquarium to tell me how to care of them.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

Aww, just throw 'em in the tubs. One of two things will happen:

1) They'll do OK
2) They will all die.

Simple!

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

Typical IM post, everything is a fifty-fifty proposition with him...

But this time he is almost right! Swamp darters have been pretty hardy in my experience (from the LFS feeder shrimp tank). I have been able to introduce pretty small guys, that had no problem growing up. They seem to be hungry all the time, and learn to eat all frozen foods and even flakes pretty easily. Just toss em in the tank and they will be fine! They do seem to like to hid in the Java Fern and don't always hang out in the open, but they always show up for dinner time!

Aww, just throw 'em in the tubs. One of two things will happen:

1) They'll do OK
2) They will all die.

Simple!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Typical IM post, everything is a fifty-fifty proposition with him...

But this time he is almost right! Swamp darters have been pretty hardy in my experience (from the LFS feeder shrimp tank). I have been able to introduce pretty small guys, that had no problem growing up. They seem to be hungry all the time, and learn to eat all frozen foods and even flakes pretty easily. Just toss em in the tank and they will be fine! They do seem to like to hid in the Java Fern and don't always hang out in the open, but they always show up for dinner time!

I second that!
I've never found them in feeder tanks but the ones I catch myself have always thrived. They adapt very well to captivity and eat well, including flake. As long as tankmates are small enough, they do great in a community setting. They are such aggressive eaters, they will come to the surface and compete with the hungriest minnow for flake food.
Very cool little guys, I highly recommend them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users