catching

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mattjones_*

Guest_mattjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

How would I go about catching some catfish?

#2 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, please update your profile with some location info so we have some idea of where you're from (closest city is usually good enough, or state plus river drainage)

If you're going to catch them with hook & line, I've had good luck with stinky dough baits on specialized trebel hooks that have a spiral coiled around the shank to help hold the dough bait on. The dough baits that work well usually have old cheese, chicken blood, and livers. If it smells like a sewage treatment plant, the catfish will get excited.

Catfish love structure. They often hide under falled trees, roots, up against piers or docks, etc.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

How would I go about catching some catfish?

Welcome to the forum, Matt!

It really depends on what kind of catfish you're wanting. How big is the tank you're going to put it in?

#4 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

Go to this site http://www.catfishin.net/ good luck!

#5 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hey Matt, Welcome...
Where are you ?
-Thom

#6 Guest_mattjones_*

Guest_mattjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

I am in morristown and live right on cherokee lake, any kind I can catch, And I may not even put them in a tank just release them.

#7 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

I am in morristown

Which state? :biggrin:

#8 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Is that TN?

Matt,
It is very important that you list your location. Everything is contingent on that bit of information. Your state and the drainage in which you are located; or major city you are near would be good enough. In this way, more people on this forum can give you a more qualified answer pertaining to species availability, location etc... It would be useful to everyone to give that information on your profile. No Specifics, just your general area.
-Thom

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah Morristown TN is near Cherokee Lake (Holston River). If your looking for just fishing information this really isn't your place. There are two decent fishing message boards that cover Tennessee that would serve your question alot better. The TWRA website for your region (region 4) also regularly updates their fishing reports. In nearby streams (Holston, French Broad, Nolichucky) to you there are some nice populations of mountain madtom. I have also caught bullheads and channel cats out of the Holston and French Broad mostly near snags and woody along the shoreline, under larger rocks, and beds of riverweed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users