red river pupfish

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

I recently got these from aquabid and want to knows if they are endangered or not?

#2 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

I recently got these from aquabid and want to knows if they are endangered or not?

Butch,
According to Peterson's Field Guide, they are "common". There is no mention of their status, so I assume they are not endangered.
-Thom

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Never mind I learned that red spring pupfish are not endangered species. I just want to know how many eggs for a single female lay in her breeding season?

#4 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Never mind I learned that red spring pupfish are not endangered species. I just want to know how many eggs for a single female lay in her breeding season?

Butch,
Go on the American Killifish Association website (AKA.com?) Do a search. I think I remember them saying something in an article that they lay fewer than other killis. What ever that means.
-Thom

Sorry....www.AKA.ORG

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

I have had them in the past they lat about 12 eggs but the fish themselves eat flake every well I know people who catch them put them in the bucket and will feed them flake in the bucket and they eat it

I had 4 in a 10 gallon with a few other things

#6 Guest_Sean H_*

Guest_Sean H_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have some, and during the summer I keep groups outside of 5 females to 3 males. A 100 eggs a week from a conditioned group is not abnormal or eventful if I try and collect them. Inside, a few dozen a week is normal but they can an will lay more if the mood is right :biggrin: . The eggs get picked if left on the mop to long in the aquariums, so collect frequently and have a couple of mops in each aquarium. For the best results I would move around males every week or two, to not let one be dominant. With that I would usually see a large increase in eggs after 2-3 days. When I didn't change out males eggs/breeding was low and the dominant male was more interested in make sure no other male was showing a blue nape. For the breeding water I use 1.010-.012, as this is the water salinity that I most often see them in naturally. However I have collected them pools/very small creek around 1.030 and above in the dry summer.

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

And what is name of brand for the salt in the water? I can buy the salt from my local pet store.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users