tank with no electric power.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

To put it more simply, water always flow downhill.

Always?

http://video.aol.com...hill/3393869684
:tongue:

In the first one, the water is probably being pumped. The second one is an optical illusion; the road is actually going downhill faster than the water.

#22 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

In the first one, the water is probably being pumped.

No, the first one states "The clue is that the liquid is a salt (coppersulfate) and the duct has a magnetic field applied to it, and a current flowing from its one side to the other. Both the current and the magnetic field are orthogonal to each other and to the direction of movement of the liquid!"

#23 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Would it be possible to take the concept of the down flowing water and make it hit a turbin wheel that is geared to spin an impeller with enough strength to pump the water back up. Would take a lot of trial and error to get the water back up at the same rate that it is falling. JUST A THOUGHT !! Maybe some kind of check valve, by means of a float as used in a trough for cattle or the same in the toilet in your home, in the down flow tube would have to be employed into the bottom tank to prevent overflow. But then again the down flow would stop thus the upflow stopped as well. JUST BUY A PUMP :blush:

Daniel

#24 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Would it be possible to take the concept of the down flowing water and make it hit a turbin wheel that is geared to spin an impeller with enough strength to pump the water back up. Would take a lot of trial and error to get the water back up at the same rate that it is falling. JUST A THOUGHT !! Maybe some kind of check valve, by means of a float as used in a trough for cattle or the same in the toilet in your home, in the down flow tube would have to be employed into the bottom tank to prevent overflow. But then again the down flow would stop thus the upflow stopped as well. JUST BUY A PUMP :blush:

Daniel

If all your parts, tubes, etc. are utterly, impossibly, frictionless- then it might work for a few minutes. Give up the dream! :laugh:

#25 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

the only possible way to make a viable aquarium system not dependent on electrical power is to continually feed fresh water into the tank and allow waste to leave via an over flow, where I live (The City of Mobile, In the Great State of Alabama) water will run you 0.019395 cents per gal, so if you were to replace the total volume of a 55 gal tank every day it would cost you $388.29 per year (that does not include the cost of de-chlorinating the water, I estimate that to be about $35.00 per month, running 2 charcoal filters in tandem)

so for a year its $808.29 (after your initial start up cost of course)

First I do not think replacing the total volume of any tank every day is necesary"My opinion". Have a tank higher than fish tank. Have a small hole drilled on the top of the fish holding tank and just let the overflow go down the drain via down tube. I think there are mechanical ways to make this work by water power alone.

Of course the top tank need not be in constant mode of refill. Say if a guy wanted to replace ten gallons of water in a forty gallon tank once a week. Mearly fill the ten gallon top tank via hose bib placed above tank and shut off water supply. ( a little initial plumbing involved ) , declorinate water and get the drip rate going to fish tank via down tube inserted into bottom of top tank via drilling a hole and using a air valve with adjustable flow rate knob, replace 25% of water in a week which is plenty. IMHO With this system employed you could then have as much water to media contact as you want by building your own holding troughs leading to spray bars. And also if the tank above ever ran out the fish tank would always be the same level because this is not a siphon but mearly a drain to drain situation. Very simple, very very little effort, and I think very do-able. Of course only suitable for fish that need very still water.

#26 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Are you guys familiar with a gizmo called "The energy machine?"

Several years ago, this guy appears on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
He claimed to have solved the puzzle of zero-point energy, that is, he had built a device, a generator, which produced more power than it took to run it. he said it was a simple matter of wrapping the coils in an unconventional manner which effectively made it several generators in one housing.

Everyone scoffed, of course.

So, the guy wheels out a big framework of 2X4's, onto which he had mounted one thousand 100-watt lightbulbs.
Then he wheeled out his machine, which was about twice the size of a household microwave oven.

He hooked up the connection, and started spinning the machine by hand. A few seconds later, the bulbs were shining at full brightness, and a few seconds after that, several of them started popping and the wires melted.

That was impressive enough, but then he wheeled out a motor and a new lightbulb array. he hooked them all together, and gave it a spin. the bulbs lit up, and then he flipped the switch on the motor. The motor took over the spinning, and the thing just ran all by itself quite nicely.

Everyone was amazed and a bit apologetic.

After that, the guy seemingly vanished from the face of the earth.

A couple of years ago, on I think the History Channel, maybe Discovery, I came across a show called "The Greatest Conspiracies in American History" or something like that. One of the segments on the show was about this guy and his machine, his appearance on the Tonight Show, and everything that happened to him afterward. He didn't get a happy ending. In fact, his life has been nothing but a living hell since that fateful day. It turns out that a whole lot of people really, really don't want to see cheap, abundant power made readily available to the masses, and the automotive industry is more than a little annoyed that the thing easily fits under the hood of a car. The US patent office was the worst, though, actually going to extraordinary lengths to stop him from getting his patent, and coming up with a new excuse each time he applies.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the flow of water, but I still thought is was interesting enough to mention.

By the way, have you ever heard of a Johnston Noise Rectifier? You likely never will, if the power companies have their way.

#27 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Powerless aquarium filter

I was at the Southwest Michigan Aquarium Society meeting two weeks ago. Bernie H. told me about his powerless aquarium filter. Bernie keeps and breeds many fish, and he has a 'few' years experience, so I would consider what he says. He takes plastic mess, like an onion bag, and stretches it over the mouth of a jar. The jar is set on the bottom of the aquarium. Since there is no current in the jar, any detritus that falls in stays in.

Edit: Of course you have to empty the jar at least once per week.
A protein skimmer is similar in that it only removes waste.

#28 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I was at the Southwest Michigan Aquarium Society meeting two weeks ago. Bernie H. told me about his powerless aquarium filter. Bernie keeps and breeds many fish, and he has a 'few' years experience, so I would consider what he says. He takes plastic mess, like an onion bag, and stretches it over the mouth of a jar. The jar is set on the bottom of the aquarium. Since there is no current in the jar, any detritus that falls in stays in.

That doesn't seem like it would do a whole lot of good.

#29 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

That is just feces collection it is not providing biological, chemical, or mechanical filtration. The water in the collection jar is still in contact with the water in the tank. Moving water from point A to lower point B and then back up to point A requires energy, even if there was a valve to pressurize or a turbine, there will not be enough energy to get it all the way back up to the start. That is the world of zero gravity or use of magnets to reduce/nearly eliminate friction. Opinions are great, but these are basic laws of physics and fluid dynamics we are talking about...still.

#30 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

Ah, but milk crates have be had for free if you don't get caught, whereas masonry blocks are more problematic (but still possible).

#31 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

Whoops, how did that happen?

#32 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Whoops, how did that happen?

I have had the same thing happen on occasion.

#33 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Why not just make tiny masks with activated carbon between layers of poly filter material sized to fit over the mouth of each fish and just clean the water for each individual fish. The fish would then provide the energy for the filtration and if they die from bad water it'll be their own fault.

#34 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Yes, then we can tax the evil, rich corporations, and give that money to the fish so that they have the self esteem to clean their own water. We could also use that tax money to start a training program in which we train these fish and release them into the wild and they will clean up all the streams and rivers too.

#35 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

Edit: Of course you have to empty the jar at least once per week.
A protein skimmer is similar in that it only removes waste.

How does the poop, or as you put it "detritus" get in the jar if it has a bag over the mouth of it? Maybe you missed a step somewhere unless my brain is in the non function mode.

#36 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

If all your parts, tubes, etc. are utterly, impossibly, frictionless- then it might work for a few minutes. Give up the dream! :laugh:

I like dreaming so I will not :tongue:

#37 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

The Government will absolutly not allow massive job losses and the economy getting shot to H--- because a wise person came up with a devise that would accomplish exactly that. Years ago a man showed me a gizmo he put together and was getting almost sixty miles per gallon in a full sized pickup. He went for a patent. You do not see any trucks that get that kind of fuel economy on the road do you. The same effect on the economy would take place. Rather if one wants to admit or not some"seemingly" good things for the earth or mankind or sometimes even bad will not happen without the approval of the Government.

My opinion and observation,

Daniel

Are you guys familiar with a gizmo called "The energy machine?"

Several years ago, this guy appears on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
He claimed to have solved the puzzle of zero-point energy, that is, he had built a device, a generator, which produced more power than it took to run it. he said it was a simple matter of wrapping the coils in an unconventional manner which effectively made it several generators in one housing.

Everyone scoffed, of course.

So, the guy wheels out a big framework of 2X4's, onto which he had mounted one thousand 100-watt lightbulbs.
Then he wheeled out his machine, which was about twice the size of a household microwave oven.

He hooked up the connection, and started spinning the machine by hand. A few seconds later, the bulbs were shining at full brightness, and a few seconds after that, several of them started popping and the wires melted.

That was impressive enough, but then he wheeled out a motor and a new lightbulb array. he hooked them all together, and gave it a spin. the bulbs lit up, and then he flipped the switch on the motor. The motor took over the spinning, and the thing just ran all by itself quite nicely.

Everyone was amazed and a bit apologetic.

After that, the guy seemingly vanished from the face of the earth.

A couple of years ago, on I think the History Channel, maybe Discovery, I came across a show called "The Greatest Conspiracies in American History" or something like that. One of the segments on the show was about this guy and his machine, his appearance on the Tonight Show, and everything that happened to him afterward. He didn't get a happy ending. In fact, his life has been nothing but a living hell since that fateful day. It turns out that a whole lot of people really, really don't want to see cheap, abundant power made readily available to the masses, and the automotive industry is more than a little annoyed that the thing easily fits under the hood of a car. The US patent office was the worst, though, actually going to extraordinary lengths to stop him from getting his patent, and coming up with a new excuse each time he applies.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the flow of water, but I still thought is was interesting enough to mention.

By the way, have you ever heard of a Johnston Noise Rectifier? You likely never will, if the power companies have their way.

#38 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

You guys do realize that the US isn't the only place in the world, right? I'm sure that there are plenty of places that would love to take advantage of an endless and hyper efficient perpetual motion machine.
Friction and gravity will prevent a machine to ever work without a source of power to keep it going.

#39 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

If any of these 60MPG trucks or 100MPG cars or Johnson-Nyquist Noise Rectifiers were real, one of these inventors after having lost all hope at a patent would have simply released their knowledge for the greater world good by now, free of being encumbered by any patents.

Often such "inventions" fail to get a patent simply because the device only exists in the inventor's mind, or on paper, and their fantastic tales of free or cheap energy cannot be demonstrated to a patent clerk here in the real world.

So tying it all back together, no, you're not going to build a perpetual motion machine to clean up your fish poop for you. Might I suggest an Aquaclear, an Eheim, or even a humble sponge filter? Those do actually work, you see. I have the poopy filter pads to prove it.

#40 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

If any of these 60MPG trucks or 100MPG cars or Johnson-Nyquist Noise Rectifiers were real, one of these inventors after having lost all hope at a patent would have simply released their knowledge for the greater world good by now, free of being encumbered by any patents.

Often such "inventions" fail to get a patent simply because the device only exists in the inventor's mind, or on paper, and their fantastic tales of free or cheap energy cannot be demonstrated to a patent clerk here in the real world.

So tying it all back together, no, you're not going to build a perpetual motion machine to clean up your fish poop for you. Might I suggest an Aquaclear, an Eheim, or even a humble sponge filter? Those do actually work, you see. I have the poopy filter pads to prove it.

OK the guy opened his hood, showed me the very large gizmo, and he was a trusted aquaintance with no reason to lie to me. So I guess I just dreamed it. Sorry. So my theory was right, there are really people in the world that know everyting. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users