Unusual color morph?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

I mentioned this in another thread...but from what I've seen, this seem to be an odd color.
This fish is not stressed, and is acting perfectly normal(gets right in there with shiners and dace even, to feed, so it's actually a bit of an extrovert as far as bluefins go!). I noticed this color as soon as it was fished out of the glass shimp tank as one of my LFS's....but figured it would fade to "normal" as soon as the fish got settled. It's not. Indeed, the blue tint has gotten more pronounced and bright as the fish settled it(the fish started more as a white, with just the very slightest hint of blue). The fins are perfectly clear, so I believe it to be female.
Anyway...IS this just what they look like?(this is the first I've seen locally at a store, and all the photos I've seen of them they look much more green/shiners colored). Note again, no color in the fins or tail(no red or black or blue at all..whole fish is just as you see it here). All though out of focus, you can see the NRBD in the forground, which is normal colored.

Attached Images

• bluefin_008a.jpg

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Breed the things and make a fortune selling them to HumongousMart!

#3 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

Ha! As it's colored up, that's the first thing that crossed my mind.."it looks frikken dyed"!
In all seriousness...I have a spare 20 long that my plan is to keep dwarf crayfish in. Since it will be set up as a "swamp" tank anyway, and heavily planted...I may put this and a male that I'm soon to get, in there and see if they make a love connection.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Probably from different locations. The bluefins from different locations looks very different from each other. But I can be wrong. I like your icy blue bluefins. Then its probably your lighting. But if its not lighting then go ahead breed icy blue bluefin to the colorful male to see what you get.

#5 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:53 AM

I have luesistic, or maybe its xanthic. Whatever, bluefins that are really yellow. I took several pictures, and with the flash, background, small size, and they just won't plain sit still long enough - it was really hard to tell the yellow color from a normal light colored bluefin, so I gave up on trying to get a picture.

I see no problem in enjoying or propagating them because of this. This is not 'tattooing" or injecting color.

How is this for an off the wall thought. Its an adaptation to survive in captivity, since many people enjoy the bright colors of fish? Brighter and more colorful = more desirable. Just a thought.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

How is this for an off the wall thought. Its an adaptation to survive in captivity, since many people enjoy the bright colors of fish? Brighter and more colorful = more desirable. Just a thought.

It's certainly something breeders might select for!

#7 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

As far as I can tell, this is a wild caught fish. It was recovered from the ghost shrimp tank at a local fish shop. I suspect it may be my lighting..but odd that none of the other fish exhibit such a pronounced blue hue!

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

I wonder if the tank that the shrimp were grown in could have made a difference. If it were, say, swimming-pool color, perhaps that would make this coloration less likely to be picked off by wading birds?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users