Mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

About 200 shots this morning and this is the best I got :laugh: It's really a nice looking fish when colored up. My daughter didn't recognize it and was asking when I got it (I've had it for months).

Posted Image

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm always a sucker for mummichogs; that guy definitely looks ready to go.

#3 Guest_CaseyH_*

Guest_CaseyH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

Hunting for the ladies :biggrin:

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Nice looking guy. We saw a buttload of them early last year I think. I couldn't get any good pics without the damn thing jumping out.

#5 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys, he's got a female that he chases around all the time but she doesn't show much interest.

Drew - In most of the tidal fresh places I seine they never seem as abundant as Banded, as it gets salty they become way more abundant. That guy is from inside the beltway though :laugh:

#6 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

The times I kept Mummis, they seemed to love to spawn in the slots in the grate of a powerfilter, just like grandis.

If you could put a duetto (sp.?) filter in there and somehow crank the flow way down, that might get it to work. These guys have huge eggs which are easy to see, pick and incubate in a container. On top of that, the fry are huge and should eat crushed flake food nearly off the bat.

If the filter strainer method sounds bad, try big mops that the clump feels sumbstantial if you grasp it, or vac the gravel. These fish love to lay in the gravel too. Vac the gravel when you know they are spawning into a clear container, like a shoe box sized clear plastic container. Let the water setttle. Slowly pour off the bulk of the water. Then take it by some bright light and slowly tip it back and fourth, you should see the eggs, especially if they are "eyed up". Once you see an egg, your eye should be trained on it and you will see many more if they are there. Like a magic eye image finally coming into focus.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users