NYSDEC Proposed Fishing Reg changes- request for comments.

22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

So it's only overland? So does that mean you could take a boat from southern Connecticut into the Hudson, sample fish, and bring them back to Connecticut and not break any laws as the fish never move overland in New York?

I know you are kidding, but there are some hitches with that plan. The big one is there are two VHS regs on the books, both Federal and State specific regs. The Fed reg states that there is no interstate (between state) transport of any live from from a VHS-positive state. So you would be breaking a federal regulation going from NY to CT.

#22 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Their is a few oddities about VHS regulations.

1. I talked to a NY environmental police guy and he said alot of the rules were a knee jerk panic reaction and ignored the fact that one VHS carrier, the blueback herring, moves throughout the entire hudson drainage and even through the canals to the great lakes. So alot of the rules are closing the barn door after the horses excaped.

2. I am not sure if this would effect things or not, but a month or two ago I read an article that the VHS strain in North America is not the virulent and highly destructive strain found in some parts of Europe like people feared, but a disease native to the US. I am not sure if this will effect regulations or not.

I also wonder how often blueback herring move between drainages. How many non-VHS states have VHS and do not know it due to them?

VHS?, no it's worse, this fish is infected with Beta Max.

#23 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Sorry I think it's a bad idea to have a fish collectors permit. It may invite them into your home for inspections like the permit system here in Ohio does. Other than baitfish I know I can legally collect with my fishing liscense I will not keep Ohio natives. I probably won't be trading them either since that would be illegal without the Aquaculture Permit. Which means if I happen to breed any they will probably become feeder fish. I know the state means well but I'll pass.

Edited by Lotsapetsgarfhts, 04 July 2010 - 09:22 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users