Belonesox Belizanus

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wonword_*

Guest_wonword_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

I was just curious if anybody still comes across these in Florida or Texas. Too bad somebody introduced them there, they are not native to FL or TX, but to Mexico and Central America. I just acquired a pair and love them. Anybody have any?

#2 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

I was just curious if anybody still comes across these in Florida or Texas. Too bad somebody introduced them there, they are not native to FL or TX, but to Mexico and Central America. I just acquired a pair and love them. Anybody have any?

They are definetely still in south Florida. I found them to be quite common in Big Cypress Swamp and they are also present throughout the Everglades and in the smaller canals around Miami. I don't know how far north they range though, but I don't beleive they get up to Lake Okeechobee. They are predators on native killifish and livebearers, but they make great fishing bait....

#3 Guest_wonword_*

Guest_wonword_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

They are definetely still in south Florida. I found them to be quite common in Big Cypress Swamp and they are also present throughout the Everglades and in the smaller canals around Miami. I don't know how far north they range though, but I don't beleive they get up to Lake Okeechobee. They are predators on native killifish and livebearers, but they make great fishing bait....

I bet they make good fishing bait, as they are failry big. But mine would be expensive fishing bait, for $15 a pop haha

#4 Guest_Sean H_*

Guest_Sean H_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

I think a cold snap in San Antonio area killied off the population there, I don't recall any other populations in Texas at the moment.

#5 Guest_wonword_*

Guest_wonword_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I think a cold snap in San Antonio area killied off the population there, I don't recall any other populations in Texas at the moment.

interesting, thats probably why they are legal in MN haha

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

Please tell me you never use them for bait unless you collect them on site.

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Skipjack, I think he means he's not really use the pike livebearers as bait since its too expensive, he was just kidding.

Man I wish I had some of these awesome livebearers but they are hard to find and on aquabid are always expenisive. Hmm...im looking for them too.

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

"Bologna Socks" would be a great name for a band...

Anyhow, I've seen them at the LFS and they look like interesting little fish; they really do look like someone glued a pike's snout to a killifish. Where the Belone part came from, though, I don't know; I just don't see the resemblance. I've never kept them, so I can't help you there.

PS- Butch, I think Ashtonmj was referring to Mzokan's comment that they make great bait.

#9 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Please tell me you never use them for bait unless you collect them on site.

Yeah, I used them right where I caught them, I know better than to transport them -- Tarpon was the result. Although I am concientious about it, it doesn't really matter much -- they can get pretty much anywhere they want in south Florida since all natural areas are one giant sheet of water July through Sept. and all developed watersheds are connected by canals and ditches. I guess they will stop spreading when they reach their thermal tolerance limit (wherever that is).

Newt: Belone comes from Greek for dart or javelin -- so it is a pretty fitting name, though bologna is funnier

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, Mzokan. I assumed Belone was a reference to the needlefish genus Belone. The pike livebearers don't look much like needlefish to me.

#11 Guest_wonword_*

Guest_wonword_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

here is a vid i took of them feeding. check out how quick the one is at 18 seconds

#12 Guest_pcsandfish_*

Guest_pcsandfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

here is a vid i took of them feeding. check out how quick the one is at 18 seconds

I have hundreds of these guys, from babies to teenagers to adults, I have been collecting them for 20 years. Anyone interested in obtaining these guys let me know

#13 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

yikes! i see convict cichlids in with them. I would say not a good match, but whatever. How big are they? my lfs has them around 4-5" ( 1 male 2 females). i would think they would be a cool addition to a tank, but what size minimum tank for these guys?.. wish they were found in waterways around here, collecting would be a higher priority for me then lol..

#14 Guest_wonword_*

Guest_wonword_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

yikes! i see convict cichlids in with them. I would say not a good match, but whatever. How big are they? my lfs has them around 4-5" ( 1 male 2 females). i would think they would be a cool addition to a tank, but what size minimum tank for these guys?.. wish they were found in waterways around here, collecting would be a higher priority for me then lol..

why wouldnt a convict be a good match? he just protects his little cave. he is gone though, but now a bellycrawler pike cichlid is in with them. i'd probably say a minimum tank size of 40 gallons. In the video pictured they were in a 20, but are now in a 55

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users