Photo

Native Finds at LFS

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

No worries; I'm taking a bunch of the rotifers out.

By the way, did you get the email I sent you Wednesday? I have some more stuff I can mail to you, if you want it.

Whoops....
Reply sent...

#42 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

Got two free bluefin killifish from the LFS's feeder shrimp tank today! I'm going to let them go in my planted 65 gallon, which currently is home to five mole salamander larvae and a smorgasbord of invertebrates. A couple of the sallies are big enough to eat the killifish, but I hope the fish's craftiness and the abundance of smaller slower prey will keep them safe.

I was looking for the bluefins in my tank this morning and saw: a banded pygmy sunfish!

The little bugger must have been hiding in the tank for two months, ever since I added the plants. He might have even come in as an egg. I can't believe I didn't seen him until now.

#43 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

Found two Bluefin Killies in a tank with plants and some other junk in northeast TN a couple of days ago. Passed on the fish because they were in poor condition.

Rick

#44 Guest_eveliens_*

Guest_eveliens_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

I got my bluefins from an LFS... on accident. I bought some pond plants, plopped them outside, and was very surprised to find some "pencil fish" looking things at the end of the season when I tore the pond down. Then the little buggers bred in my planted 10 and 1 fry survived (how this fry avoided a very hungry bumblebee goby I'll never know).

I've also kept gambusia that came from a petsmart feeder tank. And I'm always tempted to take a crawdaddy home too but I don't have housing for it right now. Also have a 8" green sunny that was 1/2" when I found him in with the comets.

Never seen any darters though.

#45 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

On Wednesday I got 2 more L. goodei, and what I believe to be a Fundulus seminolis, but i cannot get a glear photo and online I'm not finding many pictures that are any good. Anyone have a few decent photos they would share?

-Tom

<edit> added best photo I could take.
Attached File  seminolekillifish.JPG   33.66KB   1 downloads

Edited by tglassburner, 02 May 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#46 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

If no one volunteers any, Tom, I'll plop mine in a photo tank and try to get a decent shot of him. Does your fish have a little bit of red in his fins?

#47 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

If no one volunteers any, Tom, I'll plop mine in a photo tank and try to get a decent shot of him. Does your fish have a little bit of red in his fins?

Just a little red

#48 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yes Tom, thats a seminole killifish, they get very big and do fine with decent sized sunfish.

#49 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

Looks just like my little guy! Mine is eating frozen bloodworms and live daphnia; I haven't tried flake food on him yet.

#50 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

Yes Tom, thats a seminole killifish, they get very big and do fine with decent sized sunfish.

Will it be ok with shiners? If not it will have to live with my redfins.

#51 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

When I had a pair they did not seem agressive so I would think they would be ok with shiners, but then again I did have them with sunfish.

#52 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

Mine lives with salamanders and has shown no signs of aggression whatsoever. I don't know how he would do in a shiner feeding frenzy, but I think he would be OK with them.

#53 Guest_Lev_*

Guest_Lev_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hello All,

Just wanted to share a pair of Swamp Darters I found in a ghost shrimp tank a few weeks back in a LFS:

Attached File  P1020552.JPG   859.69KB   3 downloads
Attached File  darter.jpg   97.1KB   2 downloads

They enjoy eating their Mysis from a 100mL beaker, where the shiners and dace can't get at them.

Great Thread! The darters were the only things I found so far, hopefully I can find some killifish some time soon!

#54 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Nice darters!

I just got five more bluefins today. The clerk claimed she has found catfish in the feeder shrimp shipments; I'll have to keep an eye out.

#55 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Today was native fish jackpot for me. I was getting a little worried lately because all throughout the winter the bluefins were in ample supply but their numbers had dwindled. I needed a new light for my 20 L so I checked just in case. A few dozen bluefins, two flagfish, one seminole killifish, five golden topminnow, one sailfin molly, and a mosquitofish. Also had hogchocker aka "freshwater flounder" for sale for the second week this month. The goldens are small and already beautiful. I scooped them up in a second since they are one of my favorite fish and my pair died of old age recently. Got a few more bluefins, one can never have enough!

#56 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

You guys have inspired me to check the "other" tanks at my LFS. I've consistently made the rounds the past few months to each of my reliable shops and even branched out to some I've never visited before in search of natives. I'd love to stumble across some of the species described in this thread.
I've actually been searching for sunfish in my area, but have only seen one poor looking green sunny that someone traded in and passed on him. I have an empty, cycled 55 gal in need of inhabitants.

#57 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

It makes me sad that all these people have found native beauties in their LFS but when I ask mine they say it would be illegal for them to sell natives. I kinda just laugh and say thanks and bye... :glare:

#58 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

The guy who owns Wet Pets store always tells me about the peacock bass that just hatched. He wants to get into selling natives, but doesn't know much about them. Usually we talk about fish for a long time...

A bait store here was selling madtoms for bait :neutral: Another bait store sold gold fish for bait :glare: I don't think that is/should be legal... :unsure:

Edited by factnfiction101, 17 July 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#59 Guest_SeaweedGuy_*

Guest_SeaweedGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

For those that have kept natives they found with feeders, do they usually do well in your tanks? I always worry as feeder fish are never in the best condition and these guys have been living in those same conditions.

#60 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

For those that have kept natives they found with feeders, do they usually do well in your tanks? I always worry as feeder fish are never in the best condition and these guys have been living in those same conditions.

My experience is not so much fish found with feeder fish, but fish found with feeder shrimp... and I think this is a significant difference... feeder shrimp often come form outdoor ponds and seem to come into the LFS and are quickly purchased and gone... so the water conditions never seem to get bad...

And my survval rate for things like topminnows or swamp darters has been fantastic... I have never really lost one that I can remember... at least not due to anything like transfer stress...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users