redbelly dace--food

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brgray_*

Guest_brgray_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

i've had redbelly dace for about 9 months. some are in a 125g and others in a 30gal aquarium. lately, the males have taken to not eating--they actively go for food, and then spit it out (whether dried or frozen). otoh, females are doing famously and go for both dried and frozen foods. since i live in WI and can no longer collect, i'm especially keen to keep the males alive. tips welcome

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

i've had redbelly dace for about 9 months. some are in a 125g and others in a 30gal aquarium. lately, the males have taken to not eating--they actively go for food, and then spit it out (whether dried or frozen). otoh, females are doing famously and go for both dried and frozen foods. since i live in WI and can no longer collect, i'm especially keen to keep the males alive. tips welcome

I've only kept SRBD for a short time but I can't even imagine them not eating. My problem is them eating too much! They will eat frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mysids, freeze dried krill and flake food till they look like they'll burst. An hour later I'll see them grazing algae and diatoms off the glass and rocks.
For such aggressive feeders to not feed I would assume something major is not right. I'd look at temperature, photoperiod and all water parameters first, then go from there.
How old are they?

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

brgray,

My first question would be when was the last time you did a water change? I've seen fish react this way if I let too long a time go between water changes. Secondly, you might want to try feeding your fish "garlic-enhanced" flakes. I've recently been turned-on to New Life Spectrum Freshwater Flakes with Garlic, which even the most finicky eaters relish. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

#4 Guest_brgray_*

Guest_brgray_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

I've only kept SRBD for a short time but I can't even imagine them not eating. My problem is them eating too much! They will eat frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mysids, freeze dried krill and flake food till they look like they'll burst. An hour later I'll see them grazing algae and diatoms off the glass and rocks.
For such aggressive feeders to not feed I would assume something major is not right. I'd look at temperature, photoperiod and all water parameters first, then go from there.
How old are they?

thanks. i don't know how old they are--they appeared mature when collected late last summer. the females are eating like you describe. i have only 2 males; they also aggressively take food of all kinds--but then spit it out. one male is very emaciated. not sure if this is just coincidence (2 fish) or somehow actually gender specific. with the possible exception of hardness (using coarse test strips, 300 mg/L--normally 180 or 240 mg/L), WQ constituent levels similar to what they've been for some time

#5 Guest_travishaas_*

Guest_travishaas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

I kept SRBD for years when I was growing up in Wisconsin and I likewise NEVER had a problem getting them to eat. One other option may be temperature - has the aquarium suddenly gotten colder for some reason?

Travis Haas
New Orleans, LA

#6 Guest_jrpatter_*

Guest_jrpatter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

Try some live brine from the petshop most SW stores will sell some.

john

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users