seen cuckholdry?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

Anyone observe their tank held sunfishes engage in cuckholdry? I have had northern longear and bluegill do it. Now I think even redear do it.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I've heard that swans mate for life. If you think about it, why not? I mean, the swan you've got looks pretty much like any other swan, so why not mate for life?

Sunfish, OTOH - you never know if you're mating with a hybrid. Then your gametes would be lost. It's best to play the field.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

I've heard that swans mate for life. If you think about it, why not? I mean, the swan you've got looks pretty much like any other swan, so why not mate for life?

Sunfish, OTOH - you never know if you're mating with a hybrid. Then your gametes would be lost. It's best to play the field.

Sometimes, maybe more often than not, an individual will be slow to mate with a hybrid. This is even with males with options of conspecific and hybrid (one parent conspecific). My pure male redears are slow to entice to the nest female F1 redear x pumpkinseed that are very ripe. They concentrate their efforts on pure redear females even though they may not be as ready. I am watching this play out as I type.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users