Gambusia VS Guppies?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

OK, this may sound silly but: How can I easily differentiate between guppies and gambusia? The reason I am asking is the LFS has two adjacent feeder tanks. One is feeder guppies. The other contains feeder grass shrimp and quite often gets interesting hitchhiker fish such as bluefin killies. Last night I stopped by and noticed the shrimp tank had half a dozen small fish that looked kind of like guppies. However, the scales seemed rather large and prominent which is why I am thinking gambusia.

Any thoughts?

Dean

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

OK, this may sound silly but: How can I easily differentiate between guppies and gambusia? The reason I am asking is the LFS has two adjacent feeder tanks. One is feeder guppies. The other contains feeder grass shrimp and quite often gets interesting hitchhiker fish such as bluefin killies. Last night I stopped by and noticed the shrimp tank had half a dozen small fish that looked kind of like guppies. However, the scales seemed rather large and prominent which is why I am thinking gambusia.

Any thoughts?

Dean

Females can be difficult to differentiate. Were there any males in the tank?

#3 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

Females can be difficult to differentiate. Were there any males in the tank?

They were all females in the shrimp tank. Am i to assume that if males are present I can differentiate from guppies based on color?

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well the gambusia has pointed mouth like duck while the guppy has not so pointed mouth like a cow. The gambusia has black teardrops while the guppies lack of it. Do you see small lace pattern spots on the fins of the gambusia?

The male gambusia look so different from the male guppy is by the lack of colors and very skinny body than guppy.

Not sure if the color of eyes would be work but the guppy's eyes are almost always full black while gambusia's eyes are just evil looking but it has white surrendering the black pupils.
But don't replying on eye colors as they might not so helpful.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

gambusia's eyes are just evil looking

This is why I don't keep Gambusia any more - they creep me out. My grandkids used to have nightmares about the "demon fish", so I got rid of them. Then I got rid of the Gambusia.

#6 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yeah I can see the gambusia's evil grin. That's why I can tell the guppy and the gambusia apart easily. Even the gambusia fry can easy to be ID.

I love this evil fish because they are bad a$$! Pardon my french..... as long as they stay in their own tank and not in the waters. The size of female gambusia are pretty big than the female guppy. I have some females in 2-3inch long range.

I once have a special female gambusia that's reached 3 1/4 inch long and her body is half black, not mottled but more like heavily lace patterns on her half rear body. She loves to eat the males gambusia and feeder guppies. Of course she passed away from natural causes.

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

My grandkids used to have nightmares about the "demon fish", so I got rid of them. Then I got rid of the Gambusia.

how could you just throw the fish out on the street like that?! do you have no morals ;-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users