cenre County

60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Anyone interested in collecting in the State College area? I am a college student with a tank, and i am a little bored with the tropicals from local pet stores, i would love to get some local fish instead. I am currently a student at PSU, and hence have no car or transport. ANy tips on places within a few miles of school to collect would be a help, along with any tips on what would be good for a first time collector.

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Anyone interested in collecting in the State College area? I am a college student with a tank, and i am a little bored with the tropicals from local pet stores, i would love to get some local fish instead. I am currently a student at PSU, and hence have no car or transport. ANy tips on places within a few miles of school to collect would be a help, along with any tips on what would be good for a first time collector.

While I am not that close (Lancaster County) I will give you one note of caution: Do not collect in any of the local trout streams and there are a few around you. The Fish Commission officers will ticket you for that.

Are you at university park year round? We may be able to arrange something later in spring or summer.

Dean

#3 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

I am in University Park until the 2nd week of May, not sure if there are any creeks around me that i could go to then. I know Spring Creek is a trout stream, and that is the only stream i know of.

#4 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

Is there anywhere that we can get a map with showing what streams are trout streams and which ones aren't? I know there is a listing in the book you get with your license, but a map sure would be nice.

Also I think if I read things correctly, you can't collect from a trout stream from March 1st till the start of trout season. If this is correct we should be able to collect once the trout season opens up.

If any of you have any clarification to this it would be great!

#5 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

I have a map of state college and centre county with stocked trout streams, and other streams you can fish. It also has hatcheries along the streams. It is a decent map, not great, but it gets the job done. I will take a look at it later, and let you know who publishes it.

#6 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

At Pitt we spell things correctly, and capitalize proper nouns ("Centre", not "cenre")! They're too busy playing football to even teach English at Penn State. Whew! And after JoePa retires, you'll have nothing.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've never been collecting in central PA, but I've been meaning to get out that way. You're only about two hours away from here (suburban Pittsburgh). Maybe in a few weeks, when we get some nice weather on a weekend, and the streams are down (after all the rain lately, the streams are really high and too dangerous to enter right now), I wouldn't mind coming our your way and exploring some streams. That is, if you can tolerate a Pitt graduate ;-) It sounds like Dean, and maybe others, might be interested as well. We'll keep an eye on conditions, and maybe try something for late April or May If there's anyone else interested, chime in!

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Is there anywhere that we can get a map with showing what streams are trout streams and which ones aren't? I know there is a listing in the book you get with your license, but a map sure would be nice.

You can download GIS layers from the Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access web site. Amongst the GIS layers that I downloaded are "Approved Trout Water Bodies 2008-02" (lakes) and "Approved Trout Waters 2008-01" (streams). There are a number of other layers there that may interest you. Check it out. You can browse the data directly via http here, or via ftp here. I imported the layers into AutoCAD. I bring these layers in over digital raster graphics (DRG) of the USGS 7.5-minute topographic quadrangles.

Also I think if I read things correctly, you can't collect from a trout stream from March 1st till the start of trout season. If this is correct we should be able to collect once the trout season opens up.

That is my understanding. And trout season starts at 8:00 AM April 12 this year. But I would stay out of trout streams for a couple of weeks after that. At least around here they tend to be very crowded for the first few days. The stocked trout get fished out within a week or two, and the trout fishermen go away, leaving the streams to us for the rest of the year. Let's just stay out of their way, and then go in when they are out of our way!

#8 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

I agree about staying out of the way of trout fisherman, they tend to be a little overzealous of their streams. I guess i could stand a Pitt grad, at least for a little while. Late April would probably be best for me, because that will be the lull between midterms and final exams two weeks later.

#9 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info Ed. If you two do end up going collecting I might have to make the trip down there to join you as well. I go to Pitt-Bradford so we can gang up on pes :biggrin:

I will probably look for some of the water that isn't the trout water and see what I'm able to find there. Hopefully they aren't too busy come trout season, and if they are I will just pull out my fishing pole and join them.

#10 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

Well Ed I was interested until you mentioned Pitt......LOL

Nah, just kidding, I'll just wear my Sh*tt on Pitt button I got at Beaver Stadium an eon ago.

Keep me in the loop here!

Dean

#11 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Haha I have a shirt that says Sh*ttsburgh on it that I picked up in Cincinnati. Maybe I will wear that one :D

#12 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

I try not to make fun of Pittsburgh, it is just to easy. Kind of like stealing candy from a baby, but this time, it is a crappy city that thinks someday its college football program will win again. Silly.

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Just remember, JoePa ain't gonna live forever. In fact, old as he is, he ain't gonna live much longer. Pitt has only better things to look forward to; Penn State is going downhill from here!

#14 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

two words:
Dick Jauron

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

I've been really busy at work, and haven't logged on for a while. Until I revisited this thread, I didn't realize how long. Enough of the Pitt-Penn State rivalry stuff, as fun as a friendly rivalry is. On to the subject at hand.

I'm going to suggest April 26 or 27, May 3 or 4, or May 10 or 11, a day on one of those three weekends. What do others here think?

After checking out the NatureServe fish by watershed site, it would appear that the Bald Eagle Creek watershed has the greatest biological diversity in that part of the Commonwealth. And it and Centre County are largely coextensive. I'll be checking for the existence of state parks, state forests, and state game lands, and any other public lands which might have stream access in the Bald Eagle HUC and nearby areas of adjacent HUCs. If anybody knows some good spots in the area, that would also be great, of course; let us know, please.

#16 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

No trip for me right now. Severe ankle sprain has sidelined me from any kind of wading, be it fishing or collecting. PAinful, and to say the least, inconvenient.

#17 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

No trip for me right now. Severe ankle sprain has sidelined me from any kind of wading, be it fishing or collecting. PAinful, and to say the least, inconvenient.

Sorry to hear that. Let us know when you are well.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

He's faking it, Ed. Just doesn't want to meet up in a remote location with some creepy guy from the internet.

#19 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:22 AM

My ankle is suddenly hurting too now that you mention that Irate haha

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

My ankle is suddenly hurting too now that you mention that Irate haha

Irate's just trying to stir up the pot again with the Pitt/Penn State rivalry. Like I said before, though, we had our fun, now it's time to get down to business and plan a trip. Pick a time. I'm pretty much good, as of now, for any weekend day (or all weekend) coming up in the next several weeks. Excepting that, I plan on joining the Ohio folks May 31 - June 1. Pick any other good weekend. I'd still like to see a Pennsylvania group get together this spring or summer. If pes142 can't come for a while, we can still get together, and plan another trip when his ankle is better. I know from experience that those ankle injuries can last a while.

So, chime in Pennsylvanians (and anyone else interested in coming to the Keystone State): who's in and what's a good weekend for you? The Centre County area, or are there other places you want to go?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users