• Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

June 28th may work for me.

Dean

#42 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

I can't join everyone on the 28th, but i am happy to report that i am well enough to seine, an i have gone on some solo trips in my area and caught quite a bit more than i expected. I will be getting back up to state college the 23rd of August, and i will probably be free anytime when i am up there if anyone wants to seine.

#43 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

I can't join everyone on the 28th, but i am happy to report that i am well enough to seine, an i have gone on some solo trips in my area and caught quite a bit more than i expected. I will be getting back up to state college the 23rd of August, and i will probably be free anytime when i am up there if anyone wants to seine.

Yeah, we saw the banded killifish and green sunfish. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. It looks like it's shaping up to be the 28th. Hopefully we'll learn something useful to share with you when you return to PSU.

#44 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

The time is getting near, if we're still doing June 28. I was hoping to post some suggested sampling locations by now, but have been quite busy. I haven't even logged on in nearly a week. I've got a couple ideas so far. I'll try to post a list of potential spots by this weekend, if you're all still interested.

#45 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

The time is getting near, if we're still doing June 28. I was hoping to post some suggested sampling locations by now, but have been quite busy. I haven't even logged on in nearly a week. I've got a couple ideas so far. I'll try to post a list of potential spots by this weekend, if you're all still interested.

Ed,
Same here as far as being busy and not logging on. I definitly am in for June 28th. I am not familiar with the area so I'm willing to go along with anyone else's ideas for sites. Also I can only do one day as my son is going to be an acolyte during church on the 29th.

Harry Knaub

#46 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:54 AM

After spending some time investigating the Bald Eagle HUC using available maps, GPS layers, internet info, etc., I've concluded the following. The Bald Eagle HUC has four main subwatersheds: Bald Eagle Creek, Spring Creek, Beech Creek, and Fishing Creek/Cedar Run. The latter three are tributaries that enter Bald Eagle Creek in turn as it flows northward. Beech Creek, although it flows through much state forest land, also flows past many strip mines, and is impacted by acid mine drainage (AMD). Not only is this documented in GIS layers available on the Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access (PASDA) web and ftp sites, viewing the stream in Google Earth the yellow-boy staining is quite evident. So let's rule out Beech Creek. (If you really want to hit a spot there, just to see what's in there, okay, but know that it is impaired.)

Spring Creek and Fishing Creek seem to be regarded as high quality angling streams. Spring Creek is "Catch and Release, All Tackle". All game fish caught must be released; collection and possession of baitfish is allowed. (A short stretch is "Catch and Release, Fly Fishing Only". No baitfish can be collected or possessed. That stretch will be avoided.) I have identified a couple of public parks via which this stream can be accessed.

Portions of Fishing Creek are "Catch and Release" or "Trophy Trout Projects", where the collection and possession of baitfish is prohibited. However, some downstream portions have no special regulations. I have identified a couple of places where there may be public park or bridge right-of-way access to this stream in areas with no special regulations.

There are no special regulations on Bald Eagle Creek, and it is not impaired until the AMD waters of Beech Creek enter it. I have identified several public access points, both on the stream and on the lake in Bald Eagle State Park, to this stream. If you want to do some headwaters collecting, Wallace Run can be accessed in State Game Lands No. 103.

My suggested sites can be seen here. Obviously, we can't hit all of those spots in a single day. I suggest that we meet at Milesburg Community Park at 10:00. From there, we can discuss which other sites we want to hit. I would think that we want to hit at least one site on each stream, more as time permits.

If you're coming, please PM me with your cell phone number, and I'll reply with mine, so that we can keep in touch if anybody is late, gets lost, etc.

It's looking like there may be a good possibility of thunderstorms on Saturday. Do we want to go on as scheduled, postpone a week or two, or watch the forecast for another day or two?

#47 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Although a few people expressed interest, it would appear that Harry is the only one to confirm as of now. While other things do come up in people's lives, I suspect that this is mostly because people have been watching the forecast. Thunderstorms are expected all weekend. While I've seined in the rain before, and surely will do so again, thunderstorms are another matter altogether for obvious reasons. Therefore, I think we are going to have to postpone this trip.

Interested parties, please think about a weekend day in July that would be good for you, and please post your suggestions. I don't know what will be good for me quite yet.

#48 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Okay, so this got postponed due to weather, and then forgotten about. Well, not forgotten about completely, but I've been extremely busy working. I've got a bit of a lull in December, any weekend would be good. I've also got some vacation time around Christmas. Does anybody want to do this in December? Or would you prefer to wait til spring? Or are you all no longer interested? I'd like to get this going.

Also note, if you buy your 2009 fishing license in December 2008, you can use it in December 2008 as well as all of 2009. One of the nice things about Pennsylvania law :cool: That can make December attractive if you never bought a 2008 license.

#49 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hey, i will be in State College until the weekend before Christmas, so if anyone wants to come down and go collecting, i am all for it. Who wants to wait until spring when we have right now?

#50 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hey, i will be in State College until the weekend before Christmas, so if anyone wants to come down and go collecting, i am all for it. Who wants to wait until spring when we have right now?

I was all set to jump in on this and then I remembered that my wife was involved in an accident last weekend. Nothing too serious, but we're a one car family right now. And I don't know when we'll get the other car back. So, I'm gonna have to beg off 'til spring. March or April should be good to get out in the streams.

Harry Knaub

#51 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

I don't know if anyone can make it, and i have not even checked the weather, but i just got off this whole weekend, so if anybody wants to take a trip in center county this weekend just let me know.

#52 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:09 AM

I was all set to jump in on this and then I remembered that my wife was involved in an accident last weekend. Nothing too serious, but we're a one car family right now. And I don't know when we'll get the other car back. So, I'm gonna have to beg off 'til spring. March or April should be good to get out in the streams.

Harry Knaub

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad she's alright. See you in the spring.

I don't know if anyone can make it, and i have not even checked the weather, but i just got off this whole weekend, so if anybody wants to take a trip in center county this weekend just let me know.

The weather's not looking too good this weekend. We'll keep an eye on the weather and try to set something up soon.

#53 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

[quote name='edbihary' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:09 AM' post='50379']
Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad she's alright. See you in the spring.

Thanks Ed

#54 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Okay, so now it's spring. Do we still want to do this? Chime in if you're interested, and let us know when would be good for you. Right now, any weekend after opening day of trout season (April 18) would be good for me. Even so, I think we should give the trout fishermen a little time to mob the streams, fish out most of the stocked trout, and be gone. Who needs to deal with those crowds? I'm going to suggest early May. What does everyone else think?

#55 Guest_AnubiasDesign_*

Guest_AnubiasDesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

I'm just outside of Philly so it's a trek to get up there but if I can make it work, I'm in. My Saturdays are usually pretty flexible.
Mark

So, chime in Pennsylvanians (and anyone else interested in coming to the Keystone State): who's in and what's a good weekend for you? The Centre County area, or are there other places you want to go?
[/quote]

#56 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

I'm just outside of Philly so it's a trek to get up there but if I can make it work, I'm in. My Saturdays are usually pretty flexible.
Mark

So, chime in Pennsylvanians (and anyone else interested in coming to the Keystone State): who's in and what's a good weekend for you? The Centre County area, or are there other places you want to go?

The 9th would be good for me, but I gotta be home for Mother's day. The 16th is good also.

Harry Knaub

#57 Guest_AnubiasDesign_*

Guest_AnubiasDesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

The 9th would be good for me, but I gotta be home for Mother's day. The 16th is good also.

Harry Knaub

I can make either of those work.
Mark

#58 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

The 9th may be better for me than the 16th. Say, don't we have a college student or two from Penn State who had suggested the area? Still interested? When does school get out at Penn State, anyway?

#59 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

The 9th is almost here, and nobody else has chimed in, or confirmed. Do we want to do the 9th, or maybe later in the month? I don't know what central PA is like right now, but we've had a lot of rain here in southwestern PA, there is flooding going on on many creeks and rivers. We are expecting more rain over the next few days. I wouldn't want to plan a trip around here for the next few days due to the flooding. Whether the same can be said about central PA, I don't know. You guys tell me what you think.

The following weekend is out for me. I told Bart in this thread and by PM that I would explore French Creek with him on the 17th, conditions permitting. All are welcome! As of now, I've made no commitments for any weekends after that until late June. So if you want to do this in a couple of weeks, or maybe later, that's fine with me, let me know.

#60 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

I don't know what central PA is like right now, but we've had a lot of rain here in southwestern PA, there is flooding going on on many creeks and rivers. We are expecting more rain over the next few days. I wouldn't want to plan a trip around here for the next few days due to the flooding. Whether the same can be said about central PA, I don't know.

Sorry Ed I was off line for a few days and with all the rain it just slipped my mind.

Harry Knaub

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users