cenre County

60 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Irate's just trying to stir up the pot again with the Pitt/Penn State rivalry. Like I said before, though, we had our fun, now it's time to get down to business and plan a trip. Pick a time. I'm pretty much good, as of now, for any weekend day (or all weekend) coming up in the next several weeks. Excepting that, I plan on joining the Ohio folks May 31 - June 1. Pick any other good weekend. I'd still like to see a Pennsylvania group get together this spring or summer. If pes142 can't come for a while, we can still get together, and plan another trip when his ankle is better. I know from experience that those ankle injuries can last a while.

So, chime in Pennsylvanians (and anyone else interested in coming to the Keystone State): who's in and what's a good weekend for you? The Centre County area, or are there other places you want to go?

I'm in, almost any weekend unless a last minute assignment from wifey pops up.

Dean

#22 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:24 PM

pes142 is apparently now well enough to collect some blacknose dace. I'm thinking a week or two after the Ohio outing (May 31 - June 1)? alter40, slasher, are you in? Dean's apparently in. Anyone else?

Edited by edbihary, 14 May 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#23 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I'm not sure exactly what will be going on around that time since I'm trying to find work and move to North Carolina, but as long as I'm still in the area I should be able to join you guys for it.

#24 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

By PM, I've learned that pes142 will not be back to Penn State until school resumes there August 22, and he wants to do the Centre County area sometime after that, say late August or September. With that in mind, we can do Centre County, or just about any other area that may interest you guys, sometime in June if you'd like. Thoughts on this?

#25 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Since legally collecting in NY is just about impossible with our state's new laws a trip to PA might be a good idea for me. The problem is that I don't drive, I have no license (Yup, 24 and no license) so traveling is difficult for me. Don't know that my wife would want to run me down to PA to collect some fish. If for whatever reason I can make it down (public transportation) I'll let y'all know.

#26 Guest_HooperG_*

Guest_HooperG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

By PM, I've learned that pes142 will not be back to Penn State until school resumes there August 22, and he wants to do the Centre County area sometime after that, say late August or September. With that in mind, we can do Centre County, or just about any other area that may interest you guys, sometime in June if you'd like. Thoughts on this?

Please keep me posted as I would love to take part. I'll be coming from just south of York.
Thanks,

Hooper Goldsborough

#27 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Please keep me posted as I would love to take part. I'll be coming from just south of York.
Thanks,

Hooper Goldsborough

I know that I'm coming to this thread late, but Centre county in June sounds like fun. Hooper, you and I could probably car pool, since I'm just on the west side of York. Does anyone have any streams or sites in mind.

Harry Knaub

#28 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

Count me in. Centre County is just a few minutes away from me. Bald Eagle seems like a good place to go. Haven't been there since I was way younger, but it's beautiful there. If I get my car by then I might be able to pick up some people as long as they're not too far away if they don't have a ride. I think mid June would be best for me.

#29 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

I'm liking the mid-June idea myself. There are a number of state forests, state game lands, and state parks in the area. There should be plenty of places where we can access the streams on public property. I can select some likely candidates from the USGS topo maps and Google Earth. It sounds like Slasher might be familiar with the area. Perhaps he's got some suggestions.

#30 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

I'm hardly familiar with the area. It's been years. All I can remember is that it's a great area, and it looked promising from what I can remember. Ed, do you know what watershed it's in? Oh, and I also remember there are some great native trout streams in that area. I think it would be worth checking out.

#31 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

I can't be there until the fall, but i just wanted to chime in. Ne careful of what creeks you choose, especially Spring Creek. A lot of those creeks are protected heritage trout waters, or some such designation, and can't be fished with anything but a hook and line. I have never seen a conservation officer before when i go trout fishing, but i think a group with seines might draw more attention than i did in waders.

#32 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

I'm sure some of us will bring a regulation book with us just to make sure it's legal to be collecting in certain waters. I mean, if we have the rules right in front of us, what can they say?

#33 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'm liking the mid-June idea myself. There are a number of state forests, state game lands, and state parks in the area. There should be plenty of places where we can access the streams on public property. I can select some likely candidates from the USGS topo maps and Google Earth. It sounds like Slasher might be familiar with the area. Perhaps he's got some suggestions.

Hey,Ed. Why don't you pick some places and see what anyone else thinks of those choices. I'm not familiar with the area, other than driving to State College and back. As of right now, any weekend looks good for me.

Harry Knaub

#34 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

Do we want to do a day, or a weekend? If a weekend - camping or hotel?

#35 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

I didn't even think of a whole weekend. For some people that might be difficult though, I don't know. I'd need a 2 weeks notice for whatever day we plan.

#36 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

Do we want to do a day, or a weekend? If a weekend - camping or hotel?

I'm close enough that a day trip would work, but since you probably are traveling a farther distance a weekend would be okay too.
I'm not really set up to do any camping though.

Harry Knaub

#37 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm close enough that a day trip would work, but since you probably are traveling a farther distance a weekend would be okay too.
I'm not really set up to do any camping though.

Harry Knaub

According to Google Earth, I'm about 2.75 hours from Penn State (arbitrarily picking a point in downtown State College). It's been years since I've traveled there, but that's consistent with my recollection. The travel time to the meeting/starting point may be a little more or less, but considering that we're getting close to the longest days of the year, a round trip of that distance (assuming I drag my can out of bed early enough!) can still leave a full day of collecting. I could easily be there by 9:00, and put in an 11-hour day (less any meal breaks), and be home in time to unpack fish and turn in at a reasonable hour. So, I have no objections to a day trip, if that's what everyone else wants.

If you're not prepared to camp, there are probably affordable motels in the area. It's not football season, after all. I know every motel in central Pennsylvania is booked for Penn State football games, and undoubtedly at their maximum rates, but I'm guessing that in June they're probably empty and cheap. Just the same, a day trip would be fine with me. I like sleeping in my own bed ;-)

The weekend of June 21 is bad for me. I'm going to suggest June 14, 15, 28, or 29. Do you like any of those dates?

#38 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

[quote name='edbihary' post='38831' date='May 27 2008, 02:22 PM']According to Google Earth, I'm about 2.75 hours from Penn State (arbitrarily picking a point in downtown State College).

A day trip on the 14th or 28th would suit me.
Anyone else have any thoughts

Edited by harryknaub, 27 May 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#39 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

28th works for me, it'll give me time to get a good paycheck to afford the gas.

#40 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

28th works for me, it'll give me time to get a good paycheck to afford the gas.

The 28th would be fine with me as well!
Let's get someone else chiming in here.

Harry Knaub

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users