albino gambusia gone...

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Last summer I got three pairs of Albino gambusia from private breeder. Breeding is a little tricky because the parents keeping eat their fry and hard to tell when the females about having fry. It appeared that the albino gambusia are very weak, probably from inbred. The grey gambusia are thriving while my albino gambusia always get sick all time. The albino are very sensitive about their water. So I lost my whole albino group but would like try it again soon. What I should to keep my albino gambusia going without lost them to the sickness?

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

Last summer I got three pairs of Albino gambusia from private breeder. Breeding is a little tricky because the parents keeping eat their fry and hard to tell when the females about having fry. It appeared that the albino gambusia are very weak, probably from inbred. The grey gambusia are thriving while my albino gambusia always get sick all time. The albino are very sensitive about their water. So I lost my whole albino group but would like try it again soon. What I should to keep my albino gambusia going without lost them to the sickness?

Get a couple albino males and breed them to several gray female gambusia or vice versa. The F1 offspring will be hets, which means they will carry the albino gene, but won't express it. Breed the babies from one female with the babies from another female, then you will end up with several albino young. About 1/4 of the young will be albino, 1/2 will be hets, and 1/4 will be regular grays. You can keep doing this until you get almost completely unrelated albinos that you can breed.

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Good idea. But that would take a very long. Mostly female grey are already pregnant and they can stored the sperm for many months.

Till I get virgin females, how to keeping the albino gambusia alive before they croak? I think the breeder sent me his aged albino gambusia...and find another albino gambusia from other sources are very hard.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users