Barbels?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Do bluehead chubs have barbels? When I moved mine to their new tank, I noticed small barbels on the corners of their mouths.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Do bluehead chubs have barbels? When I moved mine to their new tank, I noticed small barbels on the corners of their mouths.

Yes, from the Fishes of the Middle Savannah River Basin... "Mouth large, slightle subterminal, and slightly oblique. erminal maxillary barbels short and rather flat, heavily ornamented with taste buds. Barbels relatively small, especially compared with those of the roseyface chub."
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I had a bluehead.

I think what you said about them being more brave with smaller minnows is right. I have a pair of yellowfins in the tank with it and it will come straight to the top and eat like a starving hog. Before it was with the yellowfins it was pretty shy.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I had a bluehead.

I think what you said about them being more brave with smaller minnows is right. I have a pair of yellowfins in the tank with it and it will come straight to the top and eat like a starving hog. Before it was with the yellowfins it was pretty shy.

Yeah, my experiment with worked... since adding a school of yellowfins (10 individuals) I have seen much more of my bluehead and much more of my logperch as well... they both see more comfortable with a bunch of crazy Notropis dashing about overhead.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users