Breeding the southern studfish

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hello everyone, I went down to the dam today just to do some dip netting for minnows and I was just expecting to catch some mosquito fish but I caught some huge Studfish (after googling them and searching out for the i.d.) I brought them back and put them in my 10 gallon that I have set up for minnows and was just wondering if anyone has bred these guys. Are they egg layers or live bearers? Are they cannibals like the mosquito fish? Thank you for your time guys.

Edited by Stumpknocker, 07 April 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Are they egg layers or live bearers? Are they cannibals like the mosquito fish? Thank you for your time guys.

I don't know much of these fish other than catching some at the NANFA convention in 2006 (and thinking they were pretty awesome). I'm pretty sure they're killifish, which means they're egg layers (and should be fairly easy to take care of -- there's *tons* of stuff about dealing with killifish out there).

If they're really plentiful and easy to get, I might be interested in getting some. How big is "huge"? Wondering how they'd fare in my tank with a big bruisers in it... PM me if you'd be game -- I could send you breather bags and would pay for shipping.

Cheers, Jase

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Someone else with breeding experience can describe details of southern studfish spawning. But they're egg layers, in short. You're keeping them in a very small space for their size; you'll probably discover that this is a really athletic fish and will easily clear the tank.

#4 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

Someone else with breeding experience can describe details of southern studfish spawning. But they're egg layers, in short. You're keeping them in a very small space for their size; you'll probably discover that this is a really athletic fish and will easily clear the tank.

Better move them to a bigger location then...thanks for the info. I have a 55 gallon I can put them in so they can roam free.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Better move them to a bigger location then...thanks for the info. I have a 55 gallon I can put them in so they can roam free.

And a lid... they are quick, strong, and jumpy... and unfortunate recipe for house cat food, or dry crispy on the floor fish...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

And a lid... they are quick, strong, and jumpy... and unfortunate recipe for house cat food, or dry crispy on the floor fish...

Ahh Thanks for the heads up, I have one in there almost two inches and would hate to lose him.
Note: I have mislabeled my studfish I realized that they are northern studfish instead of southern. Sorry

Edited by Stumpknocker, 07 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ahh Thanks for the heads up, I have one in there almost two inches and would hate to lose him.
Note: I have mislabeled my studfish I realized that they are northern studfish instead of southern. Sorry

If you collected these fish in south Georgia, or anywhere much south of Lookout Mountain, you have southerns, Fundulus stellifer. Two inch fish are sub-adults, the big ones will get to ~4 inches. The only other species they could be as studfish would be F. bifax, stippled studfish, found in the Tallapoosa River system; and no one has seen that species in Georgia for about 10 years so if you did find them it would be truly interesting.

#8 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

If you collected these fish in south Georgia, or anywhere much south of Lookout Mountain, you have southerns, Fundulus stellifer. Two inch fish are sub-adults, the big ones will get to ~4 inches. The only other species they could be as studfish would be F. bifax, stippled studfish, found in the Tallapoosa River system; and no one has seen that species in Georgia for about 10 years so if you did find them it would be truly interesting.

Thank you for clearing that up fundulus I have a couple about 2 inches but would love to catch some 4 inches. They are truly beautiful fish to be so small and only get so big. I moved them to a 55 gallon setup with some good cover so we'll see how time progresses.

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

I have caught northerns as south as Crandall Georgia at our Church Camp.

Daniel

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

I have caught northerns as south as Crandall Georgia at our Church Camp.

Daniel

Any studfish from as far south and east as Crandall would be F. stellifer, southern studfish. And even there that's pretty much the eastern limit of the southern's range.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users