ID if possible

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

Posted Image

this little guy is 1"-1.5" long and occasionally eats snails. I thought it was a goby, but looked like some of the darters I find in the Wisconsin River. He can cling to the glass. He didn't have a label, so he was free cause they couldn't sell a fish they couldn't ID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

this little guy is 1"-1.5" long and occasionally eats snails. I thought it was a goby, but looked like some of the darters I find in the Wisconsin River. He can cling to the glass. He didn't have a label, so he was free cause they couldn't sell a fish they couldn't ID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's a goby of some sort. Not a darter.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

I am guessing it isn't native to the US then is it? Just looked very similar to what I find during the summer time.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

I would guess it isn't. Where did you catch it?

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

Fat sleeper of some sort
fat sleepers are found in the SE coastal US and the gulf of Mexico

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

not a fat sleeper,

here is a pict of one of mine
Posted Image

is that a suclpin??

#7 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

The ability to cling to the glass would seem to indicate goby, wouldn't it?

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

I wish I would have collected him, I actually got it from a feeder tank at a LFS. I don't know, he hasn't grown at all since I got him. still at 1.5"ish, so not a sleeper. I used to have a goby tank ( wasp fish, sleeper, jade, and one other one that grew to 20".. oops!) He resembles a goby, but acts like a darter and LOVES current. I find him constantly swimming into the water return of the fishtank so he can sit in the current.

#9 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Are the pelvic fins fused into a cup shape or are they 2 separate fins?

Gretchen

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Definitely a goby. Hard to tell from photo but if from the US, might be the code goby, Gobiosoma robustum.

#11 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Definitely a goby. Hard to tell from photo but if from the US, might be the code goby, Gobiosoma robustum.

Not the code goby, but atleast in the same general size. His fins are separate fins, which is part of the reason I have been having problems. I have looked through several books and yet to find anything I feel is close.

I don't know, maybe he is a lost cause and should just be called, " Mr. Bigeyes"

#12 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

If the pelvic fins are separate instead of joined by a membrane (cup shaped), it is not in the Gobiidae family. It may be a species of sleeper (Eleotridae). See this link for more information: http://www.fishbase....e...4&areacode=

Take care,
Gretchen

Edited by silverperch, 09 April 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#13 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

He looks like one of those Bully's that are listed on that website.. Will look more into it.. THANKS!

#14 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:22 AM

NVCichlids,

If you take the fact that he clings to the glass to be that he seems to cling to the glass, I would say, all other things considered, that he looks like a Least Darter (Etheostoma microperca). These guys are native to the U.S..

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

NVCichlids,

If you take the fact that he clings to the glass to be that he seems to cling to the glass, I would say, all other things considered, that he looks like a Least Darter (Etheostoma microperca). These guys are native to the U.S..

ok, I can see the resemblence. Would you like me to try to bring him to the SE Wisconsin Meeting if I am able to attend?

Edited by NVCichlids, 10 April 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#16 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

His head doesn't look very darter-ish, but maybe the silicone is throwing me off. I'm voting for goby still.

#17 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

ok, I can see the resemblence. Would you like me to try to bring him to the SE Wisconsin Meeting if I am able to attend?

If you can bring the fish that would be great! It would be a lot easier to ID it if we can see it in person.

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

NVCichlids,

Mouth not right and way to big for a least darter.

#19 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ok, I will bring him with me in a small 1/2 gallon betta keeper! that is all I have that I could bring him in. He will be getting a 2.5 gallon tank pretty much to himself soon!

#20 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

What kind feeder fish that your "goby" was in? And where your local fish store get them from? Maybe we can narrow it from the area. I guess it's probably one of these native brackish water gobies species or exotic aquarium released gobies or just really fat darter (either deformed or hybird). You decide.

The dorsal fins and the caudal fins are darterlike...but the head look too big. Every darters I owned doesn't cling on the glass.

And it is not green sunfish either. Lol.

NVcichlid..
Can you get a pic of its heads?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users