Virginia - James River Drainage sampling

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

I know I've talked to some people individually but wanted to post this for others.

I obtained a permit last year in order to use large nets in certain rivers, the Rivanna River being one of them. It is home to several sucker species and large nets makes sampling them easier. The main focus of the trip is to document and photograph as many species as possible as the permit does not allow the collection of fish in great numbers. For those that want to collect, we can set aside some time to collect under a VA fishing license if you wish.

We will also plan on snorkeling as the water is pretty clear where we go.

For the most part I can go any weekend so if you're interested please post here and we can nail down a day. I personally prefer a Saturday date.

See http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2702 for last years trip report.

#2 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

I'd be interested if it's later in May. I'm booked for like the next three weeks at least.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'll shoot you a schedule tomorrow Drew. I may have a housing for my digital video recorder soon.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

I'd be interested if it's later in May. I'm booked for like the next three weeks at least.

Cool, will keep that in mind.

I'll shoot you a schedule tomorrow Drew. I may have a housing for my digital video recorder soon.

HD? :biggrin: You still talk to Karl? I guess he'll eventually see this thread.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

I wish! Yeah Karl and I went fishing Sunday. Even though he's moved up several classes in the world being employed by Montgomery County he still lives like a mile down the road. Hopefully he see's this, we were actually talking about this on Sunday. He's got some massive bluespotted spawning action going on...

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

I'd definitely be game to go again in may, and I might be able to get Shannon to come along too.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

I'd be up for a little later, say the weekend of June 7/8. I have a business trip from May 12 to 25, and May 26-30 is the SWS meeting.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

Looks like we may be able to do one in May and possibly in June. I haven't looked for any access points yet but I want to get down closer to the confluence with the James itself. I'd have to get my permit amended for that.

I will also be planning a TN drainage trip (two night stay) this year. I will start a new thread when I get more details on that.

#9 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

I definitely don't want to miss the TN drainage again this year. After the first week of May I'm out of class, so Given a week or two of notice, I should not have a problem making these trips. Hopefully we'll get to collect together more, I'm a little tired of flying solo all the time :)

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

Ditto. I never get out to the TN drainage. Just say the word!

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have two view buckets I can bring along. A different sort of perspective, especially for those who don't snorkel.

#12 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

I'm in of course.

#13 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

Spoke with Karl, he is interested and reminded him to get on the board for info.

#14 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Cool, I will send out an email to the other VA members not on the forum...

I'm thinking May 10th may be a good day to target.

#15 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

Whine... that's the weekend before a 2-week business trip. Please, please, please, please, please, can we try to do an additional trip sometime? Please?

#16 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Whine... that's the weekend before a 2-week business trip. Please, please, please, please, please, can we try to do an additional trip sometime? Please?

Laura, no worries, we will do another. It is an easy drive for me, about 1.5 - 2 hours. I also don't expect more than 4-5 people to be able to go at any given time. We can always plan a smaller trip just let me know when you want to go.

#17 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Whew!

#18 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

Laura, no worries, we will do another. It is an easy drive for me, about 1.5 - 2 hours. I also don't expect more than 4-5 people to be able to go at any given time. We can always plan a smaller trip just let me know when you want to go.

Oh good. Because May 10th might be doable but it'll all depend on how sorted my house is after my move.

#19 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

I got some positive feedback from my emails, so May 10th looks like the day (sorry Laura). Now we just have to hope for good weather.

I also forgot to add, if time permits, we can go hunt down some MRBD. However, if we go outside of the Rivanna, everyone will need a VA fishing license.

#20 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

I'm planning on coming, and want to know if anyone would be interested in a few fish. I currently only have a 75g set up and would like to make room for any fish I decide to bring back from the trip.
I'm looking to get rid of:
Margined Madtoms-two of them, full grown
Banded Killifish - about a half dozen, mixed sex/sizes
Satinfin Shiners - a few to spare
Creek Chubsucker - I've had three of them for almost a year, two of which have been thriving. One, however, is starting to look a little skinny/malnourished (Which I don't understand, since EVERYONE else in the tank is great) It is about 6 inches long. If anyone would like to try and rehabilitate him, they are welcome to him, otherwise I'm going to keep throwing food at him.

But yeah, anyway, glad to see everyone is planning to come. It's gonna be a good day.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users