Fish scratching

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

Scratching is usually a sign of ich, or skin and gill flukes. I agree with chad55 about treating right away.

#22 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Regarding the fish scratching problem in addition to possible parasites, I noticed that after feeding freeze dried or frozen bloodworms to my fish that some of the fish started scratching. This didn’t seem to occur when I would feed live bloodworms from my pools. FYI.

#23 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:12 AM

I usually put a little talcum powder in the tank to help them out. 

(just kidding)

Many of my fish scratch every now and then, usually its no big deal, nothing is wrong. The thing I've observed both in the tank and in the wild is that certain species scratch as part of normal behavior; others don't. If you see your darters scratching there's probably something not quite right. Minnows doing it every now and then is just sort of their thing it seems.

#24 TN GREENIE

TN GREENIE
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:16 PM

Does anyone's fish scratch themselves by swimming against a rock or branch in anyones tank? I have sunfish and chubsuckers that will occasionally do this. I assume its a sign of a parasite, but not sure. Any ideas?

ive noticed my fish has started to do it recently, ever since i started using API stress coat water conditioner. his skin is healthy and he has no parasites, i was wondering if anyone else here has a similar experience 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users