Killie/ Top minnows in Wisconsin

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

I know there are a few species of each here in Wisconsin, but I was wondering what types they are, and where they can be found? I am interested in going out and collecting some once it gets a little warmer, just would like to know where to look ( both stream/river names and around what type of cover) and the best way to catch them.

I am getting so caught up in the native fish I have decided to stop my second 20 gal L from being set up into an african cichlid tank and going to do more natives!!

Any information will be appreciated!

Thanks,

NV

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

Shhhh, the DNR might hear! Actually, I read a small article stating that WI is easing up a little bit on the VHS inspired rules (but I have no details).

In any event, the Des Plaines river, which is really small in Wisconsin, is just chock full of blackstriped topminnows. Just drag a dipnet along the shoreline vegetation and you will get some. I believe that blackstripes are in the Fox as well, altough I have never seen any. (That's the "Illinois" Fox, not the Lake Winnebago Fox.) I have also heard of banded killifish being found in the Fox as well, but that is the fringes of their distribution.

There is a Wisconsin killifish organization (www.aka.org/wako). They used to do an annual collecting outing, but I think that they have curtailed it due to the DNR rules. I bet you could still get some collecting sites from them.

Oh, a bit more: from my Peterson's field guide, there should be northern starhead topminnows, and the banded killie's distribution extends to the north up to the UP and over to Minnesota (covering about half of WI).

Edited by bullhead, 21 April 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Isn't that illegal for collecting wild fishes in Wisco.?? Heard they have some kind of herpes going on.

But if you want natives that's legally, I suggested to obtain some natives from commerical vendors or private breeders like us.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

I contacted a DNR guy today and he said absolutely NO collecting, but he is working on something to allow people like us to collect for our home aquariums so long as they are never released into the wild again.

NV

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:14 AM

I contacted a DNR guy today and he said absolutely NO collecting, but he is working on something to allow people like us to collect for our home aquariums so long as they are never released into the wild again.

NV

Nate,

Who did you talk to? I just came on-line to post here and let you know about the DNR restrictions. Was it John Lyons?

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

Nate,

Who did you talk to? I just came on-line to post here and let you know about the DNR restrictions. Was it John Lyons?

Yeah, he sent me a nice little email.

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, he sent me a nice little email.

can you post the email text that was his response?

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

well this is primarily my message sent to him:

I was just wondering what the current regulations are for netting minnow type fish
in Wisconsin for educational/personal enjoyment? I would be interested
in getting any permit/license that would be needed, but I don't know
what would be needed? The types of fish I would like to acquire for my hobby would be
black striped/spotted topminnows, some types of dace, and darters.
So I guess my question overall is, what type of license/permit do I need
to do this? And I guess, where can the topminnows be found?

His response:

Unfortunately, I can't give you a final answer to your question as of
yet. Prior to the VHS disease being detected in Wisconsin in 2007, it
was legal to use a fishing license to collect non-game species for the
home aquarium, as long as they weren't protected species and as long as
you weren't collecting in a trout stream. But with new emergency rules
put in place last year to prevent the spread VHS, it is now illegal for
anyone to collect a fish and transport it alive away from its home
waters. So right now you can't legally collect fish for your home
aquarium from the wild. We are trying to come up with an exemption for
people such as yourself to collect live fish that they would maintain at
home and never return to the wild, but this hasn't been worked out yet.
So for now, you can't collect any fish, but hopefully we will figure out
a way for you to be able to do this in the future.

That is what I have, Hope it helps.

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

Its promising in that it sounds like they are not ardently opposed to it and are working to allow it.

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

Its promising in that it sounds like they are not ardently opposed to it and are working to allow it.

Yes, I agree - his response was very thoughtful and it's nice that he seems to have some sympathy.

#11 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Yes, I agree - his response was very thoughtful and it's nice that he seems to have some sympathy.

I'm just greatful that he is on our side. He sent me another short email stating that once we are able to collect again, he will let me know, he also stated that at that point if there were any fish I wanted to find, he would tell me where to go, which is always a + in my book!

#12 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

I take it you liked my topminnows Nate! Hopefully we can catch some fish soon.

#13 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

I take it you liked my topminnows Nate! Hopefully we can catch some fish soon.

yeah I did. I am thinking that of the two tanks I am setting up this summer, one will be flagfish/topminnows and the other will be pygmy sunnies and least killies. As for the collecting soon, I sure as hell hope so, otherwise when I go collect plants/driftwood it will be constantly boring lol.

NV

#14 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

As for the collecting soon, I sure as hell hope so, otherwise when I go collect plants/driftwood it will be constantly boring lol.

Collecting plants boring? You're out of your tree! Have you seen Newts posts lately in the native plant section? Yowza!!!

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

Collecting plants boring? You're out of your tree! Have you seen Newts posts lately in the native plant section? Yowza!!!

I'm not saying its boring, I just also like the opportunity to also collect the fish that are around the plants, plus there aren't many types of plants in the location i do most of my collecting.

NV

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users