Rainbow Darter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

My friend had told me that he was fishing the otherday and accidently hooked a rainbow darter through the back. The fish was 5"+ in length. He said that it was the biggest rainbow darter he had ever seen. Unfortunately, after taking it home and trying to care for it, it had died.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had an experience with such a large rainbow darter?

Thanks,

NV

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

That would be a huge rainbow! Sounds like a fish story to me.

Did your friend hang on to the carcass, or measure it beforehand? It's very easy to mistake "bigger than expected" for "actually absurdly large"; I've talked to a whole lot of people who swear up and down they have a 10 foot cottonmouth or foot-long praying mantis, which inevitably turns out to be quite ordinary in size upon inspection.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

He measured it with a ruler. I don't know if he still has it. will ask if he still has it for picture purposes.
plus he has kept many rainbow darters over the year. I would be inclined to believe that this is NOT a story.

NV

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

Are there greenside darters up there? A rainbow darter 5" long would be nearly impossible....anything up to or over 70 mm TL (about 2.75") would be a monster.

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

I am not sure. He is in North Western Illinois.

Like I said, I will try to get a picture for you guys.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

Rainbow darter are found in the Rock River drainage, but Smith only lists them up to 3" (which happens in the north where interspecific competition is much less). If it were truly 5", it would have to be another species, and since greenside are absent... I'd say one of the Percina would be suspect.

Todd

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

I've gotten a few big male rainbow darters at 4 inches and those look huge compared to normal adults can't imagine a 5 incher. All have come from the same stretch of the same creek and never more then one a trip usually a number of trips between with just normal sized ones.

Edited by keepnatives, 09 May 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

Of course, it could be an individual with hyperthyroidism or similar. There was a recent article in Herp Review about a ridiculously large southern toad that appeared to have acromegaly.

#9 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

I personally haven't seen the waterway he found it in, but I would think that competition would go down once someone steps up that big? I don't know much about darters in general, but I have seen a few larger ones in my days ( I believe they were brown darters?). I will check my email later tonight to see if he has emailed me the pic yet.

Where do you normally find rainbow darters? I would like to collect some at somepoint, but don't know where they are? All i find are tessalated and brown darters ( from by recolection.)

NV

#10 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

I personally haven't seen the waterway he found it in, but I would think that competition would go down once someone steps up that big? I don't know much about darters in general, but I have seen a few larger ones in my days ( I believe they were brown darters?). I will check my email later tonight to see if he has emailed me the pic yet.

Where do you normally find rainbow darters? I would like to collect some at somepoint, but don't know where they are? All i find are tessalated and brown darters ( from by recolection.)

NV

Look for riffles with quite a strong current and a bottom covered in smaller rocks or pebbles. I have also found that they prefer shallower water at about 1 to 2 feet but I have caught them in deeper water. Around this time of year, if you find one, you will usually find hundreds because they are congregated for breeding.

#11 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

So far, I've found all my rainbows in water 6"-1' deep, slow current, with a rocky bottom. In the riffle section of my creek, all I come up with are large fantails and small sculpins.

I like rainbows. They seem to have a pleasant disposition, whereas some of the fantails can be a bit obnoxious.

Haven't found a rainbow over 3" yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users