How to catch wild pickeral?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

I live in Michigan and the closest water to me is the Rouge River. I'm located in Birmingham, I Would like to know if there is any specific methods for catching these. I've decided to add one to my tank with my crappie(3''long). So if you would be so kind could you fill me in on how to catch these. I will order from you if you have them in stock!

Thanks,
Nerf

Edited by nerfgunner, 14 May 2008 - 09:01 PM.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

This might serve you better in the other topic.
1. Drive to the areas mentioned by Richard in the other topic
2. Look for shoreline vegetation
3. Net the vegetation as if that was your quarry
4. Pick through the vegetation in your net being very careful to avoid tadpole madtoms
The last step is either jump for joy after finding a grass pickerel or jump up and down after being stung by a tadpole madtom.

But seriously... Grass pickerel like shallow soft bottom areas that abound with vegetation. You'll know you're in the right spot when you sink up to your knees in silt and the water looks almost disconnected from other water since it's so weed choked. Don't get me wrong, they can be found in sparsely vegetated areas but not as abundant.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

Another way that can be lots of fun is to search by sight for them and net them as you see them.
As an angler that loves sight fishing, I can't get enough of the visual stimulation and thrill of the hunt that goes with searching for them in the weeds.
It takes practice, especially if you have not sight fished before. Polarized sunglasses are essential, even in cloudy weather.
They can be very hard to spot as they lay motionless looking like a leaf or twig. If you can see them, it's a sure bet they've already seen you. Usually that means they rocket away just as you reach out with the net.
It's challanging but very rewarding when you are successful.

#4 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Another way that can be lots of fun is to search by sight for them and net them as you see them.
As an angler that loves sight fishing, I can't get enough of the visual stimulation and thrill of the hunt that goes with searching for them in the weeds.
It takes practice, especially if you have not sight fished before. Polarized sunglasses are essential, even in cloudy weather.
They can be very hard to spot as they lay motionless looking like a leaf or twig. If you can see them, it's a sure bet they've already seen you. Usually that means they rocket away just as you reach out with the net.
It's challanging but very rewarding when you are successful.

I caught one once this way with nothing but a mason jar and my hand. I was kayaking at night and spotted him hovering near weeds in shallow water. I managed to *very* slowly slip the mason jar over him from behind, then use my hand to cap it. I also caught a couple from shore last year by just spotting them in *very* shallow water (1"?), then netting them with a dipnet. Agreed, it's more fun than just randomly dragging weeds until you get one. -Jase

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

When I catch them i search the wisconsin river sand bars for pools that have dried up away from the main current then just drag my nets, ALWAYS find them that way.

#6 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

I also caught a couple from shore last year by just spotting them in *very* shallow water (1"?), then netting them with a dipnet. Agreed, it's more fun than just randomly dragging weeds until you get one. -Jase

I should note that I meant I did this *at night*. It's amazing how stupid/dazed most fish seem at night. I've managed to catch many small fish barehanded by just moving slowly and cupping my hands around them.

Also, I didn't keep those fish. Not legal here in VT. :(

Edited by jase, 15 May 2008 - 11:39 AM.

#7 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thanks you guys!

#8 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

This is a chain pickerel but it should give you an idea of what to look for if sight fishing ;)

Posted Image

#9 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

This is a chain pickerel but it should give you an idea of what to look for if sight fishing ;)

Posted Image

Nice Pic, I went looking today but could not find any.

#10 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

I am still very intrested in catching these but cant find any.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Don't feel bad. I can catch them all day when I don't want any, but now that I have a home for them...

#12 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Seined a couple juvenile picks this weekend with Lance (natureman187): a 3-4" chain from a shallow weedy backwater of Kentucky Lake, and a 2" grass from a shallow weedy eddy of Crystal Spring run. There's a pattern here somewhere...

#13 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

OMG, is there anyway I could maybe trade with you guys? I am going to a diffrent spot this weekend but they are hard for me to catch! Only seen 1!

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Seined a couple juvenile picks this weekend with Lance (natureman187): a 3-4" chain from a shallow weedy backwater of Kentucky Lake, and a 2" grass from a shallow weedy eddy of Crystal Spring run. There's a pattern here somewhere...

Look for the right water and you will be rewarded!

#15 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hopefully this weekend man, I can't find squat near me!

#16 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

Good luck! We put ours right back, so no dice there.

#17 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Your not going to find them regularly, in the Rouge, in the area you are at.. Try the spot I suggested awhile back, it is about the closest population that is abundant in your area.

#18 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

Your not going to find them regularly, in the Rouge, in the area you are at.. Try the spot I suggested awhile back, it is about the closest population that is abundant in your area.

Thats where I'm going or to the bay in lake orion!

#19 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Thats where I'm going or to the bay in lake orion!

BROOK, what lake I deleted PM man sorry, my bad!

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

BROOK, what lake I deleted PM man sorry, my bad!

Rose Oaks park

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users