Pickerel Setups

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*

Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Well, i'm setting up my new tank for my grass pickerel i am getting and i was interested in how some of you guys' setups look. I'm thinking of putting in some long-leafed plants for it to lurk in and some very fine grass plants all over the bottom. But, does anyone have any full tank shots of some past/current pickerel setups.

Also, i have some snails that came from the lake that are starting to reproduce. I hope to get an orangespotted sunfish soon but will it do anything to control the snail population? Will it pick on the pickerel? (i heard they are one of the least agressive sunfish)

Also, does anyone know a name of tall long-leafed plant that i can maybe pick up at petsmart or the like?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

DC

#2 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

You can try some of the amazon swords, if the water temp is high enough and enough light they'll do fine. Anarchis is a native, as is foxtail, you could also try some cryptocorn, or annubis. java ferns work well when anchored to a piece of bogwood, and are also a native plant. The vallisneria species will also do well, try to get the larger variety. What size tank do you have? Grass pickeral can get to be 14" or so, and need at least a 75 IMHO. I kept one once in a ten gallon quarantine tank for a month. He did fine, but didn't have much room to move. Remember that pike will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. I have caught a grass pike on a 9" shad fly when fishing for stripers.

#3 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Errr... Java moss is native, not java fern.

Anyway, I've always thought that a pickerel in a nice forest of Vals would be eye catching.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Java moss is native to SE Asia. there are similar looking plants, like willow moss that are native to the US.

A grass pickerel in captivity will rarely get over 10 inches, and if it does it will take a long tiime to get there. A 30L is plenty big enough for a redfin/grass pickerel or two (if they get along). The NYS record for a redfin was 14" out of Lake Champlain. At 2.2 lbs that was a big, fat, old grass snake!

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

I stand corrected. Like I've always said, I really don't know mosses. And thank God for Latin names, or I'd be a jumbled mess!

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

The best part is though is that java moss looks sooooo much like some our native mosses and is generally much much easier to grow in the average tank conditions. I have had very limited success with willow moss, except in my cooler tanks.

I like using java moss and/or nanja (guppy) grass in with the pickerel to really give small fish some cover so that the feeders will last longer. Pickerel will eat until there is not eating left to be done.

#7 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, I knew about java ferns from asia. Don't ask, just had a brain fart! Another good option would be to go to a local pond and see whats growing. Just be carefull what you get, or you'll have a mess of snails along for the ride! I've collected alot of foxtail and anarchis, the anarchis did fine, but the foxtail never did that great. Just remember, all plants need alot of light!

#8 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

tank mates for a Grass Pickerel are a frustrating matter - they eat EVERYTHING they can.

I'm thinking sunfish MIGHT work though. I have some ideas that I will try out this spring.

stay tuned.

my tank is lonely with only one 7 inch Pickerel

#9 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

Maybe a catfish of slightly larger size.

I think given the right bottom structure crawfish might be interesting. Pike will eat those though, so many hiding places and/or replacements may be necessary.

#10 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

the only problem I had keeping a crayfish with my Pickerel was that the crayfish DESTROYED my plants. Other than that, as long as the size isn't too drastic - a crayfish would be fine. Given that Pickerel are most happy when in a planted tank - it is a slight issue.

I've noticed that my Pickerel does not mess with bottom feeders though....so a catfish just might work, until it grows large enough and eats the pickerel.

one thing I have begun looking into are South American fish. They typically are in mid 70 degree water, and aren't as aggressive as Africans. Granted, this isn't a native fish, but beats an otherwise mostly empty tank.

#11 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:05 AM

Pickerel will eat until there is not eating left to be done.

:laugh: Good one!

Brian

#12 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

I would love to see what you have done with your setup since the start of this thread...i am desperatly waiting to get some of my own grass pike in the next couple of weeks...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users