Topminnow found in flooded basement

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

this guy was found in a guy I work with's basement that flooded, so I took him in under my flourescent lighting and am hoping for the best. My question is what species and if possible, what sex?

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks,

NV

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Good Lord! Normally we worry about any potential for floods to release basement fish into the surrounds, not the reverse!

Pretty cool find!

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

i know, i was really suprised when he told me about a small fish swimming around. I just know it is a topminnow and in the river that flooded there are thousands of more, but I cannot go collect due to VHS and laws, so I need to find the name so I can order(?) a few friends for him. He is currently hanging out with my golden topminnow female and my 3 rubrifrons. They make a neat little school.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm inclined to guess that your fish is Fundulus notatus based on the better, second photo; relatively few spots, and a more continuous side stripe. But I wouldn't bet money on it (although Martin might?....).

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

But I wouldn't bet money on it (although Martin might?....).

I got 20 bucks - wanna get something going?

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Before we get carried away, here's a severely photoshopped treatment of the original photo as another line of evidence. I'd say it more clearly shows few spots on the dorsal surface.
NotatusMaybePS.jpg

#7 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

there are a few spots on its dorsal region, but not to the extent that I saw on Fishyz fish that looks similar to this. I want to agree with you fundulus, I googled/yahoo imaged the name and they look more like him than the other species does.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Yeah, I think it's blackstriped, also because it apparently came out of a larger stream (river?).

#9 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

it came out of the fox river, here in wisconsin.

#10 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:44 AM

Good Lord! Normally we worry about any potential for floods to release basement fish into the surrounds, not the reverse!

I found someone willing to take me collecting here in Oregon, and someone else who investigated the laws.
I can COLLECT non-game native fish, no problemo. Transporting them, and putting them in my man made pond is quiet another story. The pond in question sits above ground level, 500 feet above sea level. It is a quarter of a mile from the nearest "stream" bed that rarely if ever has more than a skimming of water in it. It is about 200 yards from the nearest storm drainage. If a native fish escapes from my "pond" into it's native habitat, I'd say "Hurrah" for it! The day we get that kind of flooding, we'll have bigger concerns!

Yes, it is a cool find! Condolences to your co-workers basement.

#11 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

That's a blackstriped topminnow. Blackspotted topminnows aren't found in Wisconsin.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

I admit I hadn't looked that up, as obvious as it is now. That's easy!

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

Several folks that I consider fish identification gurus (and Bruce is one) taught me the most important rule of fish identificaiton in the field... Know where you are standing (state, watershed, etc)!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but of those pictures, the top fish is a male and the bottom is a female.

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

the funny thing about that is it is the same fish. I only found one in his basement.

#16 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

here is a little clearer picture:

Posted Image

#17 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

Male blackstripe, they can be caught by the hundreds (at times) in the Des Plaines and the other Fox.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users