Collecting in Middle Georgia

42 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Your minnow might be a spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius), it looks very similar to specimens i've caught in the Oconee, they are a bit different from the northern version that you usually see in field guides.

Marcus

Hey Marcus :)

Yeap, this is another to investigate. I didn't realize they went so far south. Uland had a great pic of one from the NC Convention somewhere on this Forum.

Todd

#22 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hey Marcus :)

Yeap, this is another to investigate. I didn't realize they went so far south. Uland had a great pic of one from the NC Convention somewhere on this Forum.

Todd

Hudsonius strikes again! That is the last time I'm fooled by that fish :tongue:
http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2510

#23 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Uland! Yeap, I'm buyin' it. Nice work Marcus.

Now... Will someone get busy and split those fish!!?? ;)

Todd

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hudsonius strikes again! That is the last time I'm fooled by that fish :tongue:
http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2510

Yes, those look like 'em... and they even show the bluish cast that I saw streamside... I should have remembered the thread...

MW
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Uland! Yeap, I'm buyin' it. Nice work Marcus.

Now... Will someone get busy and split those fish!!?? ;)

Todd

Hey Todd

Hows this: I hereby elevate the subspecies Notropis hundsonius saludanus to full species status --> Notropis saludanus

Will that work? ;)

#26 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Dustin... we didn't keep any, but I have always wanted to try those and now I know a location... seem to remember folks saying they are rather agressive (even though they are smaller)... have you been able to keep them with other fish (shiners and such)?

dollar sunfish
blackbanded darter
either a rosyface chub or spottail shiner, quite likely the former but hard to tell without seeing the barbel. I will check my more recent book and see if I have other characters separating the two.

Fritz

#27 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

My dusky shiner guesstimate was based on looking at the first shiner, whose caudal is visible but no other fins. After a good night's sleep the second shiner certainly looks better as a Hybopsis, as Todd says depending on drainage for species.

I'd like to withdraw my dusky shiner ID for that first fish; now I'm certain that it's a green sunfish, of course....

#28 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to withdraw my dusky shiner ID for that first fish; now I'm certain that it's a green sunfish, of course....

LOL I agree with Bruce. I was perhaps hasty with shiner ID. I agree it's a green sunfish.

But if I conquer CRS, will respond tomorrow about what it probably is.

Fritz

#29 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

If three people agree it's a green sunfish, then friends, it's an organizational decision. I therefore also believe it to be a green sunfish, and so it is, by NANFA decree.

#30 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

If three people agree it's a green sunfish, then friends, it's an organizational decision. I therefore also believe it to be a green sunfish, and so it is, by NANFA decree.

That would be Lepomis cyanellus consensus, then?

#31 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

dollar sunfish
blackbanded darter
either a rosyface chub or spottail shiner, quite likely the former but hard to tell without seeing the barbel. I will check my more recent book and see if I have other characters separating the two.

Fritz

I'm going to reverse my opinion. After getting a closer look at the mouth (could not see a barbel) and comparing the body to photos I have of the 2 species, I'm farily confident that it is a spottail shiner. The rosyface doesn't have that dark pigment along the anal fin base that is present in the spottail.

Fritz

#32 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

Fairly confident? Remember, green sunfish is correct 90% of the time. So, is fairly confident equal to or greater than 90%??

#33 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Nice shots! You spring lizzard is a three-lined salamander (Eurycea guttolineata). Did you get any bug pictures? I suspect your 'wolf spiders' may actually be fishing spiders (Dolomedes species).

#34 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Nice shots! You spring lizzard is a three-lined salamander (Eurycea guttolineata). Did you get any bug pictures? I suspect your 'wolf spiders' may actually be fishing spiders (Dolomedes species).

A few were real, honest-to-goodness wolf spiders (Same markings, at least, brown, with dark brown patterns on the abdomen) but others were almost black, with white abdominal markings and spots, so you may very well be right. When I get a better camera, I'll make sure to photo some.

#35 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

Here are a couple of Dolomedes species:

Posted Image

Posted Image

True wolf spiders (Lycosidae) are a bit furrier and have the eyes arranged in a distinctive pattern: the four anterior eyes are in a straight row, while the larger posterior eyes are arranged in a quadrangle. Dolomedes and other pisaurids have two slightly curved rows of four eyes each (you can see it pretty well in the second picture).

Sorry for the tangent, I'll let you get back to fish now!

#36 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

The collective knowledge of this forum is pretty amazing.

#37 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

... three-lined salamander (Eurycea guttolineata)

Thanks for the ID... are these able to be kept in an aquarium? I see a lot of really small salamanders in these streams (assuming they are the young of the three lined) could one of these be kept in an aquarium? ... with fish? I don't know much about these amphibs, but would be interested in learning.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#38 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:29 PM

I kept two of the salamanders you see in riffles for a year in the now defunct 100 gal. Things would scare the crap out of me when I moved rocks around to get the glass cleaned all the way down in the riffle areas.

Also kept ammocetes in the 100 gal and SE lotic 75 gal. All were accounted for and thriving when I tore down, burrowing in somewhere in the sand. Might be something else to consider in any sandbed adventures.

Todd

#39 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the ID... are these able to be kept in an aquarium? I see a lot of really small salamanders in these streams (assuming they are the young of the three lined) could one of these be kept in an aquarium? ... with fish? I don't know much about these amphibs, but would be interested in learning.

Yeah, you can keep stream sallies in a tank, provided there are no big predators in there. They're mainly live feeders, so they'll need plenty of scuds, worms, and other bugs. It is important to realize that they can and will climb up the glass, so only keep them if you have a secure top. There are several species of stream salamanders in your area, including species of Pseudotriton, Eurycea, and Desmognathus. The taxonomy of the last two is in a state of constant flux, kinda like darters.

Todd- Where did you find the ammocoetes? I've yet to find one, though I've caught a few adults. I have a brook lamprey who's been living in my refrigerator for a couple years now. There's a low-maintenance pet for you; no feeding, no waste, all you have to do is top off the water now and again!

#40 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

They're mainly live feeders, so they'll need plenty of scuds, worms, and other bugs.

Todd- Where did you find the ammocoetes? I've yet to find one, though I've caught a few adults. I have a brook lamprey who's been living in my refrigerator for a couple years now. There's a low-maintenance pet for you; no feeding, no waste, all you have to do is top off the water now and again!

The salamanders that I kept never recieved live foods. They had to have fed on frozen mysis and bloodworms. There was a lot more heterogenity in the 100 gallon than most tanks, but still.

These particular ammocoetes came from Sulphur Spring Creek just west of Franklin at Joe McCoy Rd. (KY Trout Access - good place for saffrons too). Find places of oxygenated detritus and continue to sweep through it (like at Joe McCoy, it's straight across the stream ford). You may get your best haul after choppin' through all that crap five or six times. They don't want to leave the habitat (and you've already destroyed it on the first try) and it may take that many times to alleviate some of the noise in the detritus. Also watch the ground after you've picked your sample. They'll crawl through the net :)

In a fridge... That's one way to keep them. But it would be so much cooler to get them to transform (if you were keeping Ichies) and you find one hooked to a fish!! :)

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users