Big darter day

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

Some days you go looking and don't find much. And some days you just make a quick pass, and look what comes up in the net. Fifteen minutes of poking around Griers Creek, and came up with the two largest darters I've ever found.

Biggest rainbow I've ever seen. Around 4" long.

Posted Image

And here's the real interesting one. Was probing about in the riffles of a spring looking for the little black shrimp that live there (tasty snack for the guys), and found this enormous fantail. 4.5" long, and bright pink.

Posted Image

Edited by JohnO, 04 July 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#2 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

Very nice! Great colors! Thanks!

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

Awesome!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image

Look at that opercular spot... that's one funny looking green sunfish!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

This is interesting... the big rainbow has done something peculiar with the big fantail. He will circle around above the fantail every so often. Either he's asserting his space, or looking to cross breed... only does it with Big Red, doesn't seem to pay attention to the other tank residents. That would be a weird hybrid, brightly colored and obnoxious.

They're both majestic sights. The rest of the darters look so... small. Think I know how that fantail got so big, caught it in the riffles of a large spring that's just packed with these little black shrimp, or something that looks like a shrimp. The darters just love those things. I also found two enormous banded sculpins in the same area, as well as several very large crayfish.

Edited by JohnO, 06 July 2008 - 09:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users