Leptolucania ommata

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

I am fixxing to get some (4) Leptolucania ommata here in a couple of days, or so, and need feed back on what kind of aquarium setting they do best in. Most likely, they will go outside in a pool with hornwort when they arrive. Can Bluefin killies and Hets go in with them and all do well together? Along with these pygmy killies I am ordering (4) Everglade pygmy sunfish. is it advisable to combine all four spieces in a 5' round 8" deep pool, and exspect spawnings from all of them? I also have a larger kiddy pool I can use (the one with the side) has been up all spring/summer but I had racoons get in it. This was where all my fish were .
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I am setting up with as much plant life I can get To grow in it. That will house these in the winter, do you have suggestions on plants, substrate, heating, lighting, anything at all??? Winter time I keep the hose at 66.
In the past I would get sand (and gravel) from a local river, wash really good getting all the unwanted sticks and leaves and anything else out, or sifting down to gravel about 1mm in size. I used no undergravel filter with the sand, just sponge and exterior filters, most likely go back to that but looking into that plant substrate florite or something.
Randy Baker

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Well from what I have read and heard from people on here, they all should be fine in the tub, but as for breeding, I don't know. I think that with your inside tank idea, the external filter ( if you mean Hang on the back) will cause problems with the little fish by sucking them up. I have not had any problems with plants in a tank with just sand, but this last time I took a nice thick layer of dried leaves and placed it on the bottom so that the plants can get nutrients as the leaves break down. I get a feeling that you want to have a large colony of all these fish? I would advise then to get a large amount of java moss, because that plant gives great refuge to the smaller fish ( even the babies) so that others can still swim around without causing ANY problems. I added some java moss in my 20 gal L ( see avatar for tank) and almost instantly I had my red faced topminnows (fundulus rubrifrons) breeding in it.

I hope this may have helped a little.

NV

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

When I use a hang on the back filter in a tank with tiny or baby fish, I slip a sponge filter over the intake.

#4 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

I am fixxing to get some (4) Leptolucania ommata here in a couple of days, or so, and need feed back on what kind of aquarium setting they do best in. Most likely, they will go outside in a pool with hornwort when they arrive. Can Bluefin killies and Hets go in with them and all do well together?

IMO, they would do OK together but not thrive as one might expect.

Along with these pygmy killies I am ordering (4) Everglade pygmy sunfish. is it advisable to combine all four spieces in a 5' round 8" deep pool, and exspect spawnings from all of them?
I also have a larger kiddy pool I can use (the one with the side) has been up all spring/summer but I had racoons get in it. This was where all my fish were .

I think the raccoons might pinch your new stash as well. Personally, I would only use a few species in the 5'x8" pool. What are the dimensions of the 'larger' pool?

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I am setting up with as much plant life I can get To grow in it. That will house these in the winter, do you have suggestions on plants, substrate, heating, lighting, anything at all??? Winter time I keep the hose at 66.

Yes, I do have a few suggestions for you. Throw a bunch of Hornwort from your pond into your aquarium. Two fluorescent strip lights or a single power compact unit should keep your plants growing throughout the winter months. Also, forget about the heater.

In the past I would get sand (and gravel) from a local river, wash really good getting all the unwanted sticks and leaves and anything else out, or sifting down to gravel about 1mm in size. I used no undergravel filter with the sand, just sponge and exterior filters, most likely go back to that but looking into that plant substrate florite or something.

Sounds like a nice regimen. If you're talking about setting up the aquarium just to overwinter your fish, I would not be concerned with filter choice or Fluorite. If you're talking about a set up specifically for growing plants AND to overwinter your fish I'd recommend purchasing a smaller aquarium first exclusively for the plants and read the Native Plants discussion on this forum. Flourite is troublesome and can put a nice hole in your pocket. Save the money and purchase a shovel and bucket to collect your own soil, clay and sand substrate.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users