bullhead growth problems?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Last Christmas vacation I captured 3 juv. brown bullheads (2 inches roughly) in a private pond near Greenwood SC (middle saluda river drainage). When I returned home I placed the 3 fish in a 45 gallon tank which they shared with a pair of bluespot sunfish. When they grew almost 2 inches in a month I was not suprised but what did shock me was the fact they stopped growing at that point. Now I have had them almost 8 months and the largest one is barely 4 inches. I feed them well and the tank is stable and quite healthy so I have ruled out stunting. Does anyone know what could have caused them to stop growing like that.

Also I'm positive on the id. I'm 100% sure that they are brown bullheads and not madtoms.

#2 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

So they were obviously Juveniles when collected?
Could you post a photo of the Bullheads possibly?
How often is the water changed in the 45gal?
What do you feed them exactly and how often?
This is just my personal opinion, but a 45gal for 3 Bullheads is too small except for a temporary home. Although with frequent water changes I doubt they would stop growing at 4''.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

yes they were juveniles when collected 1 and a half maybe 2 inches tops.
A photo I would have a problem with because of my cheap camera but I will do my best.
Bi-weekly 10 percent water changes.
I feed them a mixture of cat fish pellets (once a day) and the 3 of them eat about a blocks worth of frozen blood worms and live mosquito larave ment for the bluespots twice a week.
I have a private pond for them but due to local herons and egrets I dont want to put them in until they get at least 7 or 8 inches long.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:08 PM

What do you feed them exactly and how often?

I too am thinking food is the limiting factor here. I also agree with Dan that a 45 is temporary quarters.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have a private pond for them but due to local herons and egrets I dont want to put them in until they get at least 7 or 8 inches long.

You're looking to get all 3 fish to be 7 or 8 inches long in a 45 gallon? Even if you can keep the water quality good, it would be a sad existence indeed.

#6 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

The dimensions I am finding on a 45gal say it would be about 12'' wide. A Brown Bullhead can reach 18'' easily at maturity, so assuming they are properly cared for they would grow longer than the width of the tank they are in now. Please consider giving these Bullheads to other forum members, putting them in an outdoor pond, or maybe keeping one or two and buying a bigger tank for them (100gals). JMHO

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users