Plants for killie tank

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Planted tanks without filters are stocked very, very lightly. I've never done it, so I can't say how lightly.

BTW, the Pond Care plant food tabs are by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, not Tetra.

#22 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Planted tanks without filters are stocked very, very lightly. I've never done it, so I can't say how lightly.

Well I think I might end up just leaving the water where it's at and not having any emergent plants. I went to petsmart today and bought some micro swords. Right now they're in my 2 1/2 gallon dwarf cray tank, but when I get this tank finished they're going in it.

#23 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

I have heavily planted, non-filtered tanks. They do just fine.

#24 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have heavily planted, non-filtered tanks. They do just fine.

Ok. Then I might take it out so that I can have some floating plants (the outflow on the filter pushes them underwater and they keep dying) and lower the water level for some emergents.

Thanks for y'all's help! I'll post some pics as the tank progresses. :D

#25 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

If you're interested in going that route, check out Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. I think you have to have very low stock levels for that to work, though.

#26 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

I used to keep my bluefin killies, gambusia, guppies, flagfish and all kinds of other small fishes in a non filter 10 gallon aquarium for several years.

It was packed with java moss and a little bit of java fern.

That was it and no water changes ever (just a little topping off) except the one time I dismantled it to move some fishes outside.

My fish did fine. I just decided to get rid of most of them. Still have my gambusia in my 20 gallon

Edited by Gambusia, 11 August 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#27 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

fishlvr, your aquarium will be fine with out a filter if densely planted. Soil choice would be the determining factor as to whether you will need to ever use the filter. If you find the soil is leaching to many nutrients or has to much organic material, a filter and water change can help keep fish healthy during initial stocking. For this reason I choose to let plants establish themselves before adding live stock but to each his own.

Also, if you'd like some water movement you can attach a sponge onto a small powerhead.

#28 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

fishlvr, your aquarium will be fine with out a filter if densely planted. Soil choice would be the determining factor as to whether you will need to ever use the filter. If you find the soil is leaching to many nutrients or has to much organic material, a filter and water change can help keep fish healthy during initial stocking. For this reason I choose to let plants establish themselves before adding live stock but to each his own.

Also, if you'd like some water movement you can attach a sponge onto a small powerhead.

Ok Thanks for the info.

#29 Guest_sedghammer_*

Guest_sedghammer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

If you're interested in going that route, check out Diana Walstad's book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. I think you have to have very low stock levels for that to work, though.

She says that the stocking levels can be as high if not higher than in a non planted tank because of the plants ability to break down ammonia and nitrates combined with the bacteria's ability to break down the same nutrients in the soil (soil has an incredibly high total area because of the small particle size).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users