Tankmates for Flagfish

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Onagro_*

Guest_Onagro_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

Hello, I currently have a pair of flagfish living in a planted 10 gallon aquarium and I am looking for some potential small tankmates. I am interested in bluenose shiners, darters, killiefish, and maybe some small, non-aggressive sunfish. Does anyone know what lives well with flagfish?

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

In a tank that small, not much. They are very agressive and territorial. I had banded pygmy sunfish in the past but they and the flagfish were juvenilles at the time, so everyone was very small. Perhaps swamp darters, bluefin killies, or least killie?

#3 Guest_Onagro_*

Guest_Onagro_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

In a tank that small, not much. They are very agressive and territorial. I had banded pygmy sunfish in the past but they and the flagfish were juvenilles at the time, so everyone was very small. Perhaps swamp darters, bluefin killies, or least killie?

Are swamp darters the metallic green ones? If they are, my LFS gets them in with the ghost shrimp on a weekly basis.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

Are swamp darters the metallic green ones? If they are, my LFS gets them in with the ghost shrimp on a weekly basis.

Probably so... swamp darters are rather common 'hitchhickers' with feeder shrimp (at least at my LFS)... and they do have a sort of metallic green color.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

I was going to say swamp darters also. I have had bluefin killifish do alright with smaller flagfish, but they can get a bit of an attitude once they mature.

#6 Guest_Onagro_*

Guest_Onagro_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

I was going to say swamp darters also. I have had bluefin killifish do alright with smaller flagfish, but they can get a bit of an attitude once they mature.

Thanks for the help. The LFS said I could have the darters (there's only 2) next time I come in. I may add a few ghost shrimp as well.

I do like bluefin killies, but I think I'll keep them seperate from the flags when I get some.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users