Solid black small catfish

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_creekshoes_*

Guest_creekshoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

I was walking in a medium sized creek in middle tennessee close to my house a few days ago and I saw a small solid black (coal black) catfish. It didn't resemble the pictures of a black madtom. It was approximately 3-4 inches and was solid black including barbels/whiskers. It was shaped like most native tennessee catfishes only very small. My retriever went splashing in the water and it went under a small ledge in about 6-10 inches of crystal clear water running over gravel scattered over bedrock

Even though I have a long history of walking creeks and fishing all sorts of waters, I've never seen anything like this before, has anyone else?

Thanks,
Creekshoes

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

Welcome Creekshoes!

In my experience, most madtoms look dark brown or black in the water, though they may show some pattern when held in hand. Juvenile bullheads and flatheads are also very dark.

I have the Fishes of Tennessee book here in front of me; tell me what drainage your creek is in and I can at least narrow down the species possibilities for you.

#3 Guest_creekshoes_*

Guest_creekshoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Newt. Appearances of madtoms while in the water noted. The creek is part of the Cheatham Lake watershed, and is in Robertson County.

It used to be pristine body of water and has had some unusual wildlife seen/caught in its proximity. When I was a kid I saw a freshwater ray-like animal that another local kid had caught from it. A state fair huckster bought it and charged people ten cents to see it at a fair exhibit where he called it an alien (honest). The only other thing like it I have ever seen was in a newspaper article photo from Kansas, but I digress.

I too thought the catfish might be a juvenile of some species but don't encounter catfish in this creek's headwaters though I realize they are shy and primarily nocturnal. I also wondered if it might be an exotic (at first glance it looked like a Poecilia Sphenops, until I noticed the long barbels) but the creek waters are pretty cool. The water where it is located is as clear as glass, and the fish appeared coal black. And it was not on the bottom but was relatively stationary a couple of inches above the gravel. I'll try to get a picture if it stays in the locale.

Thanks,
creekshoes

#4 Guest_creekshoes_*

Guest_creekshoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Newt. Appearances of madtoms while in the water noted. The creek is part of the Cheatham Lake watershed, and is in Robertson County.

It used to be pristine body of water and has had some unusual wildlife seen/caught in its proximity. When I was a kid I saw a freshwater ray-like animal that another local kid had caught from it. A state fair huckster bought it and charged people ten cents to see it at a fair exhibit where he called it an alien (honest). The only other thing like it I have ever seen was in a newspaper article photo from Kansas, but I digress.

I too thought the catfish might be a juvenile of some species but don't encounter catfish in this creek's headwaters though I realize they are shy and primarily nocturnal. I also wondered if it might be an exotic (at first glance it looked like a Poecilia Sphenops, until I noticed the long barbels) but the creek waters are pretty cool. The water where it is located is as clear as glass, and the fish appeared coal black. And it was not on the bottom but was relatively stationary a couple of inches above the gravel. I'll try to get a picture if it stays in the locale.

Thanks,
creekshoes

Correction, I believe this creek may be in the red River watershed rather than the cheatham lake w/shed.

creekshoes

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Which creek is it? I'm from nearby Montgomery County, and I've spent a good bit of time in Robertson.

Catfish known to occur in the Red drainage include black (Ameiurus melas) and yellow (A. natalis) bullheads, channel cats (Ictalurus punctatus), stonecats (Noturus flavus), and mountain (N. eleutherus), slender(N. exilis), and brindled (N. miurus) madtoms.

Pictures would be great!

#6 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks,
creekshoes

What I wouldn't give to know what that animal was. Are you in a drainage with a connection with the ocean, even hundreds of miles away? I'm thinking a Hogchoker way out of it's normal range but thats just a guess.

Edited by Moontanman, 03 September 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users