New OH-MI-PA-KY-WV Area Alliance

64 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

The Rebs have their Catfish Alliance. The Illinois-Indiana area people have banded together. And now the New Yorkers are trying to unite. What about the rest of us?

I have noticed that there seems to be several of us within a few hours drive of each other in Ohio and nearby areas of border states, notably southern Michigan and western Pennsylvania (me). Banding together and having a group outing every three or four months might be kind of fun. Meeting more people, making friends, and learning from one another would be great, as well as finding new fish throughout our region. I suggested this to Matt as a sidebar in an unrelated PM, and he agreed that this "NEEDS to be done!" (emphasis his). He suggested that the name of the new alliance have something to do with destroying carp. I got a good laugh, but I kind of agree. Therefore:

I propose a group centered on Ohio and including people in nearby areas of border states southern Michigan and western Pennsylvania, and possibly northern Kentucky and northern/western West Virginia also if there are interested parties there. I ask interested individuals to chime in and indicate their interest.

I solicit suggestions for the name of the new alliance.

I suggest that the alliance have quarterly group collecting trips in various locations throughout the alliance territory. Others would be invited to participate in those trips as well, and the alliance might occasionally have a joint trip with one of the other alliances.

Shall our first group collecting trip be a Winter trip or a Spring trip? If a Winter trip, should it be before or after Christmas?

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:15 AM

I'm all for it, I go out collecting year round, sometimes have to break the ice first but I honestly don't do much else for fun so why not. I have a few buddies I go with regularly but it would be great to meet some new people and trade info on collections several times a year. I may even be interested in helping you plan such events.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

OHMIPAKYWV Alliance - has kind of a ring to it, eh?

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

howa bout the yankee fish alliance or the yfa

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

OHMIPAKYWV Alliance - has kind of a ring to it, eh?

I guess it does. It reminds me of when I was a child, Big Bird singing the "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" song. It kind of has the same feel.

I thought of just saying Ohio-Area alliance, but I thought I'd be politically correct so the neighbors don't feel unwelcome. I guess they feel unwelcome anyway. I thought they'd jump all over it like happened when you (or whoever it was) announced the Catfish Alliance. But the response so far has been underwhelming. The response to the New York alliance seems to be underwhelming so far also. Maybe this sort of thing works in the South, but not the Midwest or Northeast. But let's give it some time to see.

Come on guys! Chime in if you're interested!

#6 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

I would be up for some collecting trips, now if I could just find some free time. :cry:

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

If you're trying to best our excellent Catfish Alliance, you will be sorely disappointed!!

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

I vote for a winter trip that way we can expect low turnout and it can only go up from there when the weather is warmer. I vote for before christmas in mid december probably 9th or 10th or the 16th or 17th. Now any ideas on a state and or location... I vote for Ohio just because it's in the center of the list of states Probably southern half of the state (again centralizing the location for the best turnout) and one of the more diverse streams. I have been in the darby numerous times including one this fall and it is definately diverse but I would prefer someplace new to me. I have been told paint creek is prety nice and also had someone at the OEPA mention a muskingum river trib called wakotomika (spelling?) saying that they regulary get 40+ species in their surveys of it. Thats my 2+ cents on a time and local for the first collecting trip lets hear some others...

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:33 AM

howa bout the yankee fish alliance or the yfa

Somehow, I saw that coming. I just wondered which Reb it would come from. Thanks for not disappointing me!

I found the following in Wikipedia in its article on the term "Yankee" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

[i]A humorous aphorism attributed to E.B. White summarizes these distinctions:
[list]To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.[list]

I personally am in that third group. I have always thought of a Yankee as a New Englander, particularly a seafaring New Englander such as a whaler. I have never thought of it as a derogatory term, though, as some Southerners and foreigners do. Nonetheless, as a Pittsburgher, I am not a Yankee.

If you're trying to best our excellent Catfish Alliance, you will be sorely disappointed!!

I wouldn't even think to try. Anyway, as I noted already, the response so far has been underwhelming. The Catfish Alliance garnered several members the day you announced it. I just thought it would be nice to meet some local people and establish collecting relationships, and I noticed that I was on the edge of a concentration of members centered on Ohio. I would really like to see it take off and by next summer have had two or three (maybe more?) joint collecting trips and to have made several new friends. I am still hopeful that that will happen.

Actually, not only am I not trying to compete with your Catfish Alliance, I am reserving the right to join it. If you will note from my post to your Catfish Alliance thread, we Pittsburghers were Rebels long before you Southerners were (Whiskey Rebellion, 1794). As a Rebel, I think I qualify for membership in the Catfish Alliance. It is however unlikely that I will get to collect with you guys in the foreseeable future, just due to my geographic distance. On the other hand, if the next convention is in North Carolina as is rumored, I will get to collect with you guys on your turf next summer. So just maybe...

Actually, being from Pittsburgh positions me to be in many groups. Pennsylvania is typically thought of as a Northeastern state, and it is indeed lumped in with those states here in the forum. Culturally and linguistically, Pittsburgh is Midwestern. If a person from Cincinnatti or Cleveland came to Pittsburgh, the only difference he would notice is that it is much more hilly here. If that same person were to visit Philadelphia, he would hear the difference in the voices of all of the locals. So as a Pennsylvanian, I can fit in with the Northeasterners, and as a Pittsburgher I can fit in with the Midwesterners and the Rebels. But then again, as I learned in school, having things in common with more than one group can mean that you don't fit in with any of them. You have no enemies, but no close friends either.

Okay, so anyway, back to the original subject. Midwesterners from Ohio and surrounding areas, let's get together and start collecting! I know there are several of you out there, including some senior, well respected members. I think this thing will live or die depending on whether people like Skipjack, Brooklamprey, Histrix, and FarmerTodd throw their weight behind it. I'm sure there are other candidates also. We've apparently already got smbass and wolfie8000. And me. That makes three. Do I hear four? Five? Etc...

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

We've apparently already got smbass and wolfie8000. And me. That makes three. Do I hear four? Five? Etc...

You of coarse can throw my name on it aswell.

Teleost and I talked about this briefly before. Our idea was to set up a Great lakes regional group. which we may still do. An Ohio centralized regional group also appeals to me as it is "closer to home" so it is easier to start getting sampling trips going.

As for a name..........Not sure yet but we will come up with something eventually.

WE WILL BURY YOU!!!!!!!!............. Smacks shoe on computer desk for effect......

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

"Somehow, I saw that coming. I just wondered which Reb it would come from. Thanks for not disappointing me!"

your welcome I had to speak you yanks gave that one to me 8)

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

I think I qualify for membership in the Catfish Alliance. It is however unlikely that I will get to collect with you guys in the foreseeable future, just due to my geographic distance.

You definitely qualify - but in order to actually join you have to post your name on the membership thread. I'll wait right here while you do this...

All done? Good! I'll send you the Catfish Alliance Pledge by email, which you need to be able to recite (from memory) anytime you attend a CA sponsored event.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

As for a name..........Not sure yet but we will come up with something eventually.

If you are from New England, the Arlo Guthrie tune (wherefrom the name "Catfish Alliance" originates) dictates that you should be called the Clamshell Alliance.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Well by all means, Matt is in on the carp killin', goby smashin', stream bed thrashin',seine net haulin', GREAT LAKES CREW!
Sorry IRATE, we will bury you! Consider your catfish alliance past history!

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

Maybe we should sponsor an event called "the fishgeek games"! One region against another. I don't know how to make it an even competition, considering the diversity of species. Maybe just a fist fight?

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

I vote for a winter trip that way we can expect low turnout and it can only go up from there when the weather is warmer. I vote for before christmas in mid december probably 9th or 10th or the 16th or 17th. Now any ideas on a state and or location... I vote for Ohio just because it's in the center of the list of states Probably southern half of the state (again centralizing the location for the best turnout) and one of the more diverse streams. I have been in the darby numerous times including one this fall and it is definately diverse but I would prefer someplace new to me. I have been told paint creek is prety nice and also had someone at the OEPA mention a muskingum river trib called wakotomika (spelling?) saying that they regulary get 40+ species in their surveys of it. Thats my 2+ cents on a time and local for the first collecting trip lets hear some others...

I am all for Paint creek! BUT the Darby and Mad drainages are very close together, which could add some diversity. Also the Mad drainage is less weather dependant. Clears out fast, and never ices up. If people are into Ohio, I am sure between Brian and I we could organize a trip that would crush the Catfish alliance on freshwater species!

#17 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

oh the humanity
the yanks are beating us

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

oh the humanity
the yanks are beating us

GET OUT OF HERE! We don't need your kind! :lol:

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

well i'm not a robot so

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

You definitely qualify - but in order to actually join you have to post your name on the membership thread. I'll wait right here while you do this...

All done? Good! I'll send you the Catfish Alliance Pledge by email, which you need to be able to recite (from memory) anytime you attend a CA sponsored event.

I was tempted to post my name to your membership thread, just to recieve your email and see how pathetic your pledge is, but with the newly injected vigor from Brooklamprey and Skipjack, I'm PUMPED! Go Great Lakes Alliance! I say we eat Catfish for breakfast! We'll fry it up on our first collecting trip!

Anyway, I see your pledge has since been posted to a new thread. It reads as follows:
""
How imaginative! I can't wait to hear you recite that in North Carolina. Just don't drink too many beers first, lest you forget it!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users