Video Of Pirate Perch Spawning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Follow the attached link to see shortened / low resolution video of pirate perch spawning in an aquarium. It was not intended to be displayed on YouTube, rather NFC's website but somehow this gone astray. We made this a few years back which led to a publication. Please ignore the fowl language, we were exited.

Edited by centrarchid, 24 September 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

Female is the closer fish. Eggs can seen in aggregate within matrix of filter as the golden patch by the females mouth. We called this "transbranchioral spawning".

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Did the male then milt again once the female was done delivering eggs? It seems to me that he was a bit premature or would the milt hang around long enough to successfully fertilize?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Did the male then milt again once the female was done delivering eggs? It seems to me that he was a bit premature or would the milt hang around long enough to successfully fertilize?

Ejection of gametes appeared to be simultaneous. Some eggs were ejected into matrix before cluster large enough to see. Hatch percentage was good.

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Ejection of gametes appeared to be simultaneous. Some eggs were ejected into matrix before cluster large enough to see. Hatch percentage was good.

It would be interesting to repeat this with multiple males. The large amount of semen produced to me looks like a method of sperm competition.

#6 Guest_MUBOTE_*

Guest_MUBOTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

pretty cool!

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for sharing, I've never seen anything like that before. Is it implied that they use root wads and/or vegetation to deposit their eggs in the wild?

#8 Guest_nativefish_*

Guest_nativefish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

Follow the attached link to see shortened / low resolution video of pirate perch spawning in an aquarium. It was not intended to be displayed on YouTube, rather NFC's website but somehow this gone astray. We made this a few years back which led to a publication. Please ignore the fowl language, we were exited.

Sorry about that we had a website melt down there and several vids made it away from the site. We had some web guys who were not all that reliable. Anyhow immpressive work and thanks for getting it out there.

Robert Rice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users