Creek Chub Suckers, Erimyzon

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BBastarache_*

Guest_BBastarache_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

Has anyone successfully kept Erimyzon? I would like to try keeping them. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Brian

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

I think the jury is still kinda out on whether they can be kept in good health in captivity (see thread http://forum.nanfa.o...;hl=chubsucker) but a number of us have kept them in the past for reasonable periods of time. I would say that while not real flashy, they are a peaceful, attractive, and interesting tank inhabitant.

Edited by Kanus, 26 September 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:03 PM

BG Granier has raised E. tenuis to a HUGE size. I have kept oblongus for a spell, but they don't really do much for me. They went into the Tank O' Death.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Has anyone successfully kept Erimyzon? I would like to try keeping them. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Brian

I've got a couple and have had them in the past. One currently has been around about two or three years. Started out at about a half incher now about 4 inches. Feed live black worms, freezedried plankton and bloodworms, pellets, flakes. I also have him in a deep sand bed tank ala "Todd Crail" when I switched to that type of tank it seemed to make a huge difference.

Oh I forgot to mention we caught several nice specimens at the Texas convention though they were protected in TX and were returned to the creek.

Edited by keepnatives, 29 September 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

I have 2 of the three species and some of them I have had for about 3 years and they have grown up to small adult size. I actually had 2 males get breeding turbicles on them back in the spring and they tried to spawn with a river chub... I didn't have any females in the tank though. In my opinion there really is not much to keeping them, they just need a lot of food which means you either have to put a lot in the tank or keep them with other fish that are not aggressive feeders. They will eat just about anything, I actually have had no trouble at all getting young ones to feed and grow well, I actually just feed them flake food and frozen blood worms most of the time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users