How Well Do Catfish Adjust From Flowing Stream To Tank?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

I went collecting for the first time this weekend. Basically, if I saw movement, I scooped it up with my hands, mud and all. I put them in a container heavy in plants to help with the transportation shock, so I wasn't really sure what I had until I got them home and the water cleared.

Baby catfish.

I don't know much about catfish, just that they like to eat. I also collected a few dozen waterbugs while I was at it and put them in the same container thinking the fish wouldn't eat them for a few days. Only two bugs made it home, and now I have none.

How big/aggressive do tankmates have to be to be safe from a catfish?

Can I get away with no aeration? I have several different tanks, here at home and at school.

We are wanting to set up a tank for a special needs student, to help calm him, but unfortunately, the area it would need to go has no electrical outlets and we are not allowed to run extension cords.

Would catfish be a good candidate for an unfiltered, unheated, unlit environment?

#2 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

You might want to post some detailed pictures for an ID.

Catfish is a pretty broad category. You've got tiny madtoms that seem to be a favorite on this forum and easy to care for vs. channel cats which will quickly outgrow just about any standard aquarium.

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

I went collecting for the first time this weekend. Basically, if I saw movement, I scooped it up with my hands, mud and all. I put them in a container heavy in plants to help with the transportation shock, so I wasn't really sure what I had until I got them home and the water cleared.

Baby catfish.

I don't know much about catfish, just that they like to eat. I also collected a few dozen waterbugs while I was at it and put them in the same container thinking the fish wouldn't eat them for a few days. Only two bugs made it home, and now I have none.

How big/aggressive do tankmates have to be to be safe from a catfish?

Can I get away with no aeration? I have several different tanks, here at home and at school.

We are wanting to set up a tank for a special needs student, to help calm him, but unfortunately, the area it would need to go has no electrical outlets and we are not allowed to run extension cords.

Would catfish be a good candidate for an unfiltered, unheated, unlit environment?

A lot depends on where the tank is located. Does it sit near a window where it can get a fair amount of light. If so you may be able to get away with some very low lite plants like java moss or java fern. The catfish whatever type is not a good candidate for an unfiltered tank. If its a bullhead, channel or large type they just eat too much and the tank will be a mess. Most of the madtoms like some, if not significant flow. Maybe a tadpole madtom would be okay but a brown cat in a dark tank might not be too exciting. If you do get enough light for some plants a fun tank would be a 30 gallon or larger set up for some pygmy sunfish, pygmy killies and least killies. Or go a bit larger with Florida flagfish, Sailfin mollies and Golden ear topminnow or starhead topminnows.

#4 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

Good to know, thanks Mike!

Clayton, I'd post pictures if I knew how. My trusty computer whiz kid ran off to Northeastern College, leaving me clueless.

I scrolled around and if the babies look like the adults, I think I have a bullhead.

Edited by mander, 29 September 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#5 Guest_Dalic_*

Guest_Dalic_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

Bullheads are a great choice for a pet. With much work mine was a 11" and was hand fed. He also had a syno that always rode on his back and would run off the pumpkinseeds that threatened to invade their cave...as large as it was.

Anyhow. They are extremely tolerant to low levels of oxygen, but going without any would still be an aweful idea. As for aggression, remember to not put anything in the tank it can fit in its mouth. Also, never make it work too hard to get food. Mine got so lazy from eating like a king that it would let feeders swim forever and never touch them unless I gave it a few days of not feeding them.FYI I almost never use feeders, but catfish are amazing hunters and fun to watch in both the dark and light.

Roughly 11 inches

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Dalic, 17 October 2008 - 06:02 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users