Head Length Vs. Body Length Esocids

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikemn230_*

Guest_mikemn230_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

This is my first post, and kind of an esocid fanatic.

Anyhow,

Does any one here have any data on how head length vs. body length (regardless of girth) vary on the different esox.

So far as I know, head size grows more consistent with age in esocids, so the largest heads tend to be the oldest fish.

I know of lakes in Canada where Pike can be found that have heads measuring around 30% of their length, and the fish are said to be close to 40 years old due the long life span in cold water. On the other hand there are places where some of the largest and oldest Muskie the ratio is more around 25% of the total length, and these fish tend to be around 25-30 years old in Ontario.

When I say body length I mean the legal method of pinching the tail, and the head length measured around the convex surface from the chin of the lower jaw, to the farthest end of the Opercular skin flap/undulating gill membrane.

Also in the large Muskies there is supposed to be a ratio of eye to eye length vs. head length as well as being 25%.

Meaning that if a Muskie is 3” between its eyes, then it should have a 12 head, and be 48” long, give or take 2”, so 46-50”.

Can anyone verify this math here?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users